USMLE Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vitamin C toxicity causes kidney stones composed of Calcium or Uric Acid?

First Aid = Calcium
Goljan Rapid Review = Uric Acid:confused:

·
Registered
236 Posts
It definitely causes calcium oxalate stones. As I remember, it improves oxalate absorption.

I think it may also cause uric acid stones, because it acidifies urine, but I didn't read this before.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
wait wait wait
Sorry for the mistake
I thought you are talking about Vit D

For vitamin C, it's definitely uric acid stones as it acidify the urine
but am not sure about the calcium oxalate stones

·
Registered
236 Posts
I rechecked, Davidson's medicine says it causes Oxalate stones "Daily intakes of more than 1 g/day have been reported to cause diarrhoea and the formation of renal oxalate stones". As I said I don't know why for sure.

As for uric acid stones, cranberry juice and vitamine c cause acidification of urine, theoritically this will pricipitate any other acidic substances (including urate) and increase solubility of alkali.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I guess means the better answer for which stone caused by vitamin C toxicity would be oxalate stone?

Between, this is a question a came across on USMLE Rx. And they had both oxalate and uric acid stone as the questions options.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
So I guess means the better answer for which stone caused by vitamin C toxicity would be oxalate stone?

Between, this is a question a came across on USMLE Rx. And they had both oxalate and uric acid stone as the questions options.
So did they say, which answer is correct !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts