USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I applied to the match for the second time. My scores are 94/98/CSPass/89. I am an IMG 14 years since graduation.
Last match I got one interview and no match.
This match I got no interview even!

I am 38 years old.

My neighbour who's also an IMG immigrant. Came with me to USA 6 years ago. He did not take the USMLE path but instead he joined a medical school!

He's going to graduate this summer. He's also 38 years old. His USMLE scores are 83/87.

He interviewed 8 interviews in anesthesiology and he was assured a match next July!

Isn't that a misery :(

I just don't understand why residency programs hates old graduates. :mad:

I was thinking that they hate old graduate because they simply older people and may not be up to the difficult task of doing residency years. But it turns out that's not the case. They just hate the years after graduation. The evidence is my neighbor guy.

I don't think this is logical. How come they don't mind him even if he's as old as I am.

This is really a misery.

I gave up ...

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
AMG/IMG is more important than the age factor

I completely sympathize with you. And am really sorry that you did not get a match over those two years despite the fantastic scores.

However, in looking at you and your neighbor's story. I think that the major impact came from the fact that he's now a US graduate and no longer an IMG.

If you look at this thread, you'll find that the most important determining factor when it comes to the match is AMG versus IMG.

He could have got 25 or more interviews if he would have been a fresher graduate. So the effect of age is still affecting him but it was diluted and masked (or let me say nullified) by the fact that he's an AMG now.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You have great scores. Although your age is a factor but I know few people even older than you matched into FM and Psych last year. Do observerships in FM and psych and get US LORs. I will provide you later with the img friendly lists based on the 2010 match invites and match results.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear that. You have great scores. Although your age is a factor but I know few people even older than you matched into FM and Psych last year. Do observerships in FM and psych and get US LORs. I will provide you later with the img friendly lists based on the 2010 match invites and match results.
Thank you for the encouragement. I will be waiting for your list to come out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
too sad

I think I have no hope:toosad::toosad:
after reading your misery
I had 12 years since graduation
step 1 95, ck 94
waiting for my visa for CS!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
me too 10 years since graduation, 34 years 91/97/cs all 1st attempt no single interview in ped, IM do you think it worth coming from my country and do externship that will cost me around 10,000$ just for the hope???

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel your pain buddy, as I am in the same boat, the difference that I am a fresh grad of 2008 - but still no interview. I wrote about my misery somewhere else here!

me too 10 years since graduation, 34 years 91/97/cs all 1st attempt no single interview in ped, IM do you think it worth coming from my country and do externship that will cost me around 10,000$ just for the hope???
I don't want to discourage you, but I did 6 months of clerkship and sub-internship, which is the highest in terms of USCE you can get, but still no interviews. If I realized early that I am going to face all these, I think I wouldn't have stepped into USMLE, I would rather had spent these huge amount of money enjoying in my country. Again not discouraging you , just reporting my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts