USMLE Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The benefit is that if you are not decided to which specialty you want to go yet then you go to transitional year and then look for specialty you like.

The prelim year is created for advanced (PGY2) residencies such as dermatology, neurology, radiology, ...etc

Yes, both prelim and transitional are one year programs and you have to move to another program when you finish them.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
More about transitional year

Hi

Can you do a transitional year and still decide to go into internal medicine? After that would you do only 2 years of IM?

Thanks
No you'd have to start from PGY1 again. There's no "advanced" IM program, there's only categorical IM programs.
However, this route of transitional then IM is very rare. Because getting an IM PGY1 is usually easier than getting transitional year for IMGs! So why looking for it?
Transitional year is usually used by applicants who have advanced subspecialty training in their mind.
The transitional year is an opportunity to define interests and aptitudes better and to get some solid hands-on experience before committing to a specific program

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for explanation Sabio,

My question about Transitional year:

Is transitional year decrease my chances in Categorical Surgery or IM? In other words, When doing Prelim year then apply for categorical it is more difficult since programs would say that he was not accepted in advanced residencies so he applied for us as a back up, but is Transitional year the same of Prelim in that thing?

Is there Transitional IM & Transitional Surgery like Prelim ?

After finishing Transitional year, is it allowed to apply for advanced programs like Radio, anesthesia....etc or I have to do prelim ??

Can u tell me, after finishing transitional year should we participate in matching again?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Categorical Medicine or Surgery after Transitional Year

Is transitional year decrease my chances in Categorical Surgery or IM? In other words, When doing Prelim year then apply for categorical it is more difficult since programs would say that he was not accepted in advanced residencies so he applied for us as a back up, but is Transitional year the same of Prelim in that thing?
No. The transitional year is different. Programs will not say that you did not get into advanced, they know that transitional year is an undecided year and people can go anywhere after it. In fact, it will increase your chances in getting categorical surgery or internal medicine, because now you have a solid one year of US hands-on clinical experience, which is a huge plus in your CV.
But let me remind you again, for IMGs; getting a transitional year is more difficult than getting into categorical IM and perhaps categorical surgery to start with so why would you look for it?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
After finishing Transitional year, is it allowed to apply for advanced programs like Radio, anesthesia....etc or I have to do prelim ??
Can u tell me, after finishing transitional year should we participate in matching again?
Yes, you can go pretty much anywhere after transitional year. It's just like applying for the match once again.
Students will get ready in ERAS (September 2011), few weeks after they started their transitional year (July 2011) and apply in ERAS for the main match (March 2012) to start a new year (July 2012).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts