USMLE Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An 81-year-old man complains of difficulty breathing and undergoes a diagnostic bronchopulmonary lavage. Which of the following is removed in large numbers during the lavage of a bronchopulmonary segment?

A. Alveolar macrophage
B. Endothelial cell
C. Goblet cell
D. Pneumocyte, type I
E. Pneumocyte, type II

·
Registered
405 Posts
An 81-year-old man complains of difficulty breathing and undergoes a diagnostic bronchopulmonary lavage. Which of the following is removed in large numbers during the lavage of a bronchopulmonary segment?

A. Alveolar macrophage
B. Endothelial cell
C. Goblet cell
D. Pneumocyte, type I
E. Pneumocyte, type II
B. Endothelial cell

·
Registered
373 Posts
A. Alveolar macrophage

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Option A (Alveolar macrophage) is correct. The alveolar macrophage wanders over the alveolar surface phagocytosing inhaled particles. This is the only place in the body where macrophages migrate over a surface area; elsewhere, they migrate within connective tissue. These cells are “free” and are located on the air surface of the respiratory membrane. As a result, they are easily captured by saline lavage of a pulmonary lobule or bronchopulmonary segment.

Option B (Endothelial cell) is incorrect. Endothelial cells line the walls of capillaries; they would not be exposed to the saline solution.

Option C (Goblet cell) is incorrect. Few, if any, goblet cells would appear in a lavage of a bronchopulmonary segment because these cells are attached to their basal lamina.

Option D (Pneumocyte, type I) is incorrect. Few (if any) type I and type II pneumocytes would appear in a lavage of a bronchopulmonary segment because these cells are attached to their basal lamina.

Option E (Pneumocyte, type II) is incorrect. Few (if any) type I and type II pneumocytes would appear in a lavage of a bronchopulmonary segment because these cells are attached to their basal lamina.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Khushboo, why don't you post other questions from the consult in this form,...

Congrats for being no1 in the form...:)
If too many questions are posted from there here, then people who are doing it fresh by paying will lose out on the real exam like situation which is what the point of these tests is. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
If too many questions are posted from there here, then people who are doing it fresh by paying will lose out on the real exam like situation which is what the point of these tests is. :)
Well, thats true, but I sort of see the questions on UW and Kaplan and now consult as more of a "textbook" in a way rather than a mock simulation of the usmle so for me the point of the qbanks is more to try and teach me tricks and the little things that I might have missed.

I guess I see Khushboo's postings as more of a "highlighting the important passage in a book" rather than - ohh I missed my opportunity to guess on a bizzare question that you have 70 seconds to read and analyze. Besides - these questions bring up really interesting discussions in the forum and seem to be much better and getting people talking rather than a forum entitled "I have a problem with so and so concept can you please explain it"

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I like what Khusboo's doing and if you've bought the qbank then you know that these questions are probably from there and so you could just avoid the thread. In any case though - I think its more about the input people put in rather than about the actual question which is what makes this forum so useful.

Just my thoughts... I absolutely respect your position donofitaly, so please don't take it the wrong way.:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, thats true, but I sort of see the questions on UW and Kaplan and now consult as more of a "textbook" in a way rather than a mock simulation of the usmle so for me the point of the qbanks is more to try and teach me tricks and the little things that I might have missed.

I guess I see Khushboo's postings as more of a "highlighting the important passage in a book" rather than - ohh I missed my opportunity to guess on a bizzare question that you have 70 seconds to read and analyze. Besides - these questions bring up really interesting discussions in the forum and seem to be much better and getting people talking rather than a forum entitled "I have a problem with so and so concept can you please explain it"

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I like what Khusboo's doing and if you've bought the qbank then you know that these questions are probably from there and so you could just avoid the thread. In any case though - I think its more about the input people put in rather than about the actual question which is what makes this forum so useful.
Yes i would totally second ashishkabir on this. The concerns raised by donofitaly apply more to the NBMEs rather than these other qbanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep, I think discussion at least makes you head in the right direction as far as the thought process needed to Ace this exam! Its definitely helpful if you don't have a study partner, and for obscure concepts that you come across....

Or for ppl who have a habit of making everything a lot more complicated than it actually is! :redcheeks;

1 - 17 of 17 Posts