USMLE Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wat is the definition of old IMG? i graduated in 2009 and i am hopin for appearin for my step 1 by mid march n cs by april n then ck by july but m apprehensive because everythin is so closeby n i havent kept any space for 'in case somethin goes wrong' m half done with first read only and i dont like just sittin at home n studyin because it will count as no experience on my cv in this time period..:S i also do not have any USCE or any research on me..also shud i apply for research n all right now? n how n where shud i apply..
please help..worried sick:(

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok tht means i HAVE to apply for the 2012 match then..is it ok to have an unemployed status in the time i am givin the steps though? i looked up the forum n it just says that i need contacts to get into research somewhere or i can ask the big hospitals to let me volunteer in which case I HAVE to be in states for that..:S

· Registered
337 Posts
It's not an official categorization by an institute or something. This is just a consensus among applicants and residency programs.
Most residency programs consider applicants who graduated more than three years ago as weak applicants.
Other programs have their cut off limit at 5 years.
Some programs even say that it's OK if less than 10 years.
Some program even say that they don't care about graduation year (usually low profile programs).

However, the most important factor (I think) is that you don't stay idle between your graduation date and the year you apply for the match. Try to fill it with something such as clerkships, externships, observerships, research, medical-related job, ...etc
I am graduating next year but will do my masters for 3 years. So if after my masters I apply will I be considered as an old graduate based on the fact that I graduated from Med school as an undergrad for more than 3 years or as a fresh postgraduate from med school?

· Registered
741 Posts
The ERAS Filter

I am graduating next year but will do my masters for 3 years. So if after my masters I apply will I be considered as an old graduate based on the fact that I graduated from Med school as an undergrad for more than 3 years or as a fresh postgraduate from med school?
The issue is that when you apply in ERAS for a residency, they will apply filters. These filters include the graduation year. So the software will filter applicants who graduated more than three years ago and these applicants will be discarded and nobody will ever look at your application and they don't know that you have been doing a master degree.
So yes, you will be filtered out.
Note that I am talking here about the programs that have such a criterion. There are many programs, however, do not have such criteria and instead they set 5 years or 10 years or no limit for the graduation year.

· Registered
337 Posts
The issue is that when you apply in ERAS for a residency, they will apply filters. These filters include the graduation year. So the software will filter applicants who graduated more than three years ago and these applicants will be discarded and nobody will ever look at your application and they don't know that you have been doing a master degree.
Note that I am talking here about the programs that have such a criterion. There are many programs, however, do not have such criteria and instead they set 5 years or 10 years or no limit for the graduation year.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply Rasheed. I am usually new in the USMLE, Residency application procedures. Please correct me if I am wrong, after I graduate from my university as an IMG do I need to go through the PGY-1? and then complete step 3? Just like US graduates?

· Registered
741 Posts
Thanks a lot for the quick reply Rasheed. I am usually new in the USMLE, Residency application procedures. Please correct me if I am wrong, after I graduate from my university as an IMG do I need to go through the PGY-1? and then complete step 3? Just like US graduates?
Yes. That's correct. But if you need H1 Visa, you have to do Step 3 before PGY1.
For more information about Step 3 please read through our USMLE Step 3 Forum

· Registered
244 Posts
Hi, can you tell me if this less than five years since graduation is "at the time of application" ? I have graduated in 2007 and have a masters which ended in 2009. Applying for 2012 match. so its 4 years at time of application and maybe a little more than 5 months IF i match.. a little worried

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.