USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

What's going on with Derm residency, everybody in my class is dreaming about it!

Is it really worth all that buzz! I mean, what's nice about spending your life looking at ugly skins days in days out :eek:

·
Registered
281 Posts
If I were an AMG, I would do anything to get into Dermat, just imagine looking at a lesion and getting the diagnosis in a second, no unnecessary investigations and the time it takes to get results. Most patient you come across will be not very sick and you do not have to bear the depressing stories most other specialties have. Not an absolute requirement to do any further fellowships and even the residency is chill with less on call work. Plus you say your a dermatologist ppl will be impressed and would want to be friends with you. Just imagine your an oncologist and most people would be like, hope i never have to go to him/her. You also make a hefty sum of money, as dermatologists are hard to come by. One another thing why I am very drawn to this specialty is that the most beautiful woman I ever came across in my life happened to be an AMG dermatologist resident :))

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd get bored, honestly. Not intellectually stimulating as the other fields.

Reactions: add1

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I were an AMG, I would do anything to get into Dermat,just imagine looking at a lesion and getting the diagnosis in a second, no unnecessary investigations and the time it takes to get results. Most patient you come across will be not very sick and you do not have to bear the depressing stories most other specialties have. Not an absolute requirement to do any further fellowships and even the residency is chill with less on call work. Plus you say your a dermatologist ppl will be impressed and would want to be friends with you. Just imagine your an oncologist and most people would be like,hope i never have to go to him/her. You also make a hefty sum of money, as dermatologists are hard to come by. One another thing why I am very drawn to this specialty is that the most beautiful woman I ever came across in my life happened to be an AMG dermat resident :))
I hope you never become a doctor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dermat Appeal

Tough residency for an IMG like myself. Its lore lies in:

(1) Minimal call hours
(2) 9 -5 schedule
(3) $275k starting salary with potential to $500k if u specialize and go private
(4) 4 Interventions: Rash? steroids....Lesion? Biopsy..Wet lesion? Dry it...Dry lesion?? Wet it...

and thats Dermatology...

IMG needs 250++++ on both steps with a year of USCE and some research/abstracts/posters/publications, some influence...and LUCK...

Even then it is quite an uphill climb... It's the Mt everest of Residencies...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts