USMLE Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know what is a bad, decent, good, great, epic score on the USMLE. We all know that a 99 is a great great score.. But what about the non 99er's.. What do there scores mean?.. Just wondering what is your perspective on what the score ranges would be catagorized in the 5 selections i have listed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Most AMGs score 95. So in general, being an IMG, you should get a 95 so as to be in the same level of AMGs. A higher score further solidifies your grounds. A lower score will be frowned upon, but is by no means a hindrance to matching, unless it's really low, like in the 70's. But those with scores in the 80's have been matching. A score of 95+, though, guarantees an easier matching.

In short, being an IMG is itself a disadvantage. So, you need to cover up this with high scores, graduation freshness, and preferably USCE in order to be AMG-like in some way.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good Question!!! the answer varies according to the nationality of the asker :)) may i venture the American and the Desi(?) System... assume that bad = low chances of matching epic = picture in usmle-forums.com :p

American
Bad - fail , decent 78-85 , good 86- 92, great 92- 99, epic 99 >260

Desi
Bad - <90 , decent 90 - 95 , good 95- 99, great 99>240 , epic 99>260!!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol great responses. Heres what i think in terms of grades

IMG (average IMG grade is 205).. I made the rankings accordingly to the average most IMG's get.

Horrible = Fail, bad <200, Decent 200-209, Good 210-220, Great 221-234, Epic 235>

AMG (average US/Can grades are 221 and 21 respectively)

Horrible = Fail, bad 190-211 , Decent 212-220, Good 221-235, Great 236-249, Epic 250>

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LoL, on this forum.. our standards are ridiculously high :happy::rolleyes::happy:

·
Registered
472 Posts
JJtheMD, out of all those calculations there, i find yours reasonable. Not everybody gets a 99 either and others (<99ers) also match, so i am with you in this.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For Surgery, They stop interviewing people with scores below 208... Yet always give people interview to people with 222.. So if you get a step 1 score within that range. I would say your chances are good if you do well in your clerkship.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dude, a 93 is a 222 lol. I think your friend is in good good shape if he does well in his surgical clerkship and step 2 ck and cs

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm bumping this thread up since things have drastically changed over the last 3 years. What do you guys think now in terms of bad, average, good and great scores??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts