USMLE Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow users who'd just taken the exam have kindly told us about their exam content, and nearly all of them mentioned there had been a lot of genetics in the exam. I'm not sure how much was really there, but just in case, I thought we should give genetics more attention, especially IMGs, who I'm sure aren't that good at it.

What do you recommend about this? I have just over 10 days left for my exam. Do you recommend I go over Kaplan's genetics section again? Or is there any shorter or better source? I'm willing to give it a full day if this would help.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I didn't get many genetics questions. n even the ones I did asked more of the terms that are all in FA. there was one genetics question i remember with a pedigree to which i took a guess at an answer because i had NO IDEA what is what. but overall, id say brush up ur pathology (they might trick u by asking vague symptoms instead of the common ones). dont panic like a did. take a deep breath, go over FA n swallow it n read up Goljan ur weak areas. when u are chilled u will see the question better.

GL!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fellow users who'd just taken the exam have kindly told us about their exam content, and nearly all of them mentioned there had been a lot of genetics in the exam. I'm not sure how much was really there, but just in case, I thought we should give genetics more attention, especially IMGs, who I'm sure aren't that good at it.

What do you recommend about this? I have just over 10 days left for my exam. Do you recommend I go over Kaplan's genetics section again? Or is there any shorter or better source? I'm willing to give it a full day if this would help.
In all honesty, I don't think Kaplan genetics would have helped much in my case. But it won't hurt taking half a day going through the genetics notes again right? I'd say about 15% of my test was about genetics/molecular biology/laboratory stuff related to genetics, but everybody's exam varies so heads up

Jerry

·
Registered
59 Posts
whatever anyone says....do go over the first chapter of genetics in kaplan genetics portion....n the basics of replication, transcription n translation(for example, the reverse transcriptase activity is 5'-3' exonuclease activity of dnap-3...i had that on my exam...ps-pls check out the info..im just sayin from memory)...this ll take just 2-3 hours...definitely worth it....n go over the physio text...the resp portion, git, RENAL.....etc....

·
Registered
919 Posts
wait i remember now. i had one translation n 3 transcription question. so read those definitely. understand the steps in translation n transcription n the enzymes in transcription. u MUST know what they do and when they step in to work.

i still keep thinking of my pedigree question. i still have no idea what it was. so pls read pedigree genetics from other books (not just kaplan n FA).

i know i shouldnt be doing questions now but i had 4 hrs till my kaplan subscription expired n i did a test. the real exam is a little easier than kaplan qbank. just a little....:eek:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Could be a couple of things.

1- people remember more of the questions they find difficult, so they could just be remembering more genetics.

2- The end of the year is coming. So the subjects could be getting skewed now since other questions have been used up. This is something you deal with when you take the exam late in the year.

either way, you have to stay straight and fair and balanced while studying. There is no way to predict what the weight of the exam is going to be for you. You could end up spending all your time on Genetics now and your exam could be tons of physiology.

just stay the way your studying and forget what people are saying.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2- The end of the year is coming. So the subjects could be getting skewed now since other questions have been used up. This is something you deal with when you take the exam late in the year.
Really?! I didn't know about this. So they're gonna throw all those crazy-weird questions at us? :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts