USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following marriage to my gf who is a US citizen, my greencard application process is taking a really long time. Can someone please tell me when the latest date is for me to have the greencard and apply to all programs. Is it July of this year or September. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Following marriage to my gf who is a US citizen, my greencard application process is taking a really long time. Can someone please tell me when the latest date is for me to have the greencard and apply to all programs. Is it July of this year or September. Thanks for any help.
how long you are waiting for?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually just submitted my papers.

·
Registered
979 Posts
ppl apply with pending greencards. if you have work perit by july you can start residency.
if you are in US you dont have to have GC in hand.
but you write in you rstatus GC holder it will make big difference.
I know people who were pending like me ad wrote GC holder and got 20 IVS. i had my real status which was pending by then.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ppl apply with pending greencards. if you have work perit by july you can start residency.
I know people who were pending like me ad wrote GC holder and got 20 IVS. i had my real status which was pending by then.
Thank you so much for the reply. Do you mean that I can apply on 2015 September while my greencard is pending and actually need the greencard and status change completed by JULY OF 2016??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tamata,

I am pending GC status too but I did not receive my EAD card yet. If I get matched, do you think I can use my EAD card instead of GC? my EAD card will come in April.
Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,
please would you mind if I asked you a question? once you get your GC are you obliged to stay on US, I mean can you have your GC and stay living on your home country for a while ? thank you in advance :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hello,
please would you mind if I asked you a question? once you get your GC are you obliged to stay on US, I mean can you have your GC and stay living on your home country for a while ? thank you in advance :D
No, you are obliged to stay in the US UNTIL you get your green card (unless you apply for a travel advance parole), but once you have it you can come and go as you please.

·
Registered
206 Posts
do you know what pappers are needed for that?
i also have a us bf and im looking for a green card...
having a us bf will not get you a green card, you need to be married. Typically you need to apply for a K1 visa to enter the US to get married (takes about 6-9 months at least), then once you are married apply for adjustment of status to green card holder, which takes another 6-9 months.

It is a long process and takes a lot of planning and paperwork, but all the info can be found easily online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
having a us bf will not get you a green card, you need to be married. Typically you need to apply for a K1 visa to enter the US to get married (takes about 6-9 months at least), then once you are married apply for adjustment of status to green card holder, which takes another 6-9 months.

It is a long process and takes a lot of planning and paperwork, but all the info can be found easily online.
I know I need to be married.
We are still planning on that tho :)
I did not know about that K1 visa...
I'll look for it.
Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
No, you are obliged to stay in the US UNTIL you get your green card (unless you apply for a travel advance parole), but once you have it you can come and go as you please.
thank you very much, and how long does it take to have it if you won the lottery ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
My fiance is a green card holder and we're going to get married soon. What happens if i apply for green card after marriage? The process for green card spouse takes 2-3 years. Does that mean i will have to apply under J1 category even though my green card application will be in process if i apply for 2016 match?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My fiance is a green card holder and we're going to get married soon. What happens if i apply for green card after marriage? The process for green card spouse takes 2-3 years. Does that mean i will have to apply under J1 category even though my green card application will be in process if i apply for 2016 match?
You will need to look into this. I dont know how long it takes if you start the process after you get married. As long as you can get your EAD before residency starts you wont need any other visa.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It won't take that long if you're in the US

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmm what exactly is EAD?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts