USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me the right protocol
regarding the following

When to give VZIG and the varicella vaccine the time line..
after a kid is exposed to another kid who happens to have chicken pox. and the kid is immunocomprimised as well, he shows up to the doctor 3 days later...

it happened to be a question I got yesterday on step 2!

·
Registered
3 Posts
variZIG should be given to a pt (immunocompromised) with in 96 hrs(4days) of exposure. If its not administered during this time frame then IVIG is given. Pt should be monitored for 28days after exposure as variZIG can prolong incubation period and acyclovir is started promptly if symptoms develop. varicella vaccine is contraindicated in immunocompromised individuals as it is live attenuated but can be given postexposurely in immunocompetent pts.
i hope u get ur ans, any1 else should confirm my ans as well

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sounds right..

I actually had a question on UWORLD that was similar..

but I totally forgot the timeline

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
YOu should also know that VZIG is indicated and thus given only if a patient immune status is unknown or neg IgG titers, and high risk for the disease, because these are pts who are likely to dvelop complications from the disease.

According to NGC.gov. recomends in only these pt groups:
-Immunosuppressed pts
-pregnant pt
-neonates whose mothers where exposed around time of delivery
-neonates <28 wks regardless of mothers vaccination status
-neonates >28 whose mothers have not been vaccinated

There's no evidence to adminiser VZIG in other pt groups
Ref.http://guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=8817

Also varicella vaccine is contraindicated in pregnant women.

·
Registered
378 Posts
variZIG should be given to a pt (immunocompromised) with in 96 hrs(4days) of exposure. If its not administered during this time frame then IVIG is given. Pt should be monitored for 28days after exposure as variZIG can prolong incubation period and acyclovir is started promptly if symptoms develop. varicella vaccine is contraindicated in immunocompromised individuals as it is live attenuated but can be given postexposurely in immunocompetent pts.
i hope u get ur ans, any1 else should confirm my ans as well
but we can give varicella to immunocompromised in some cases

http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-2-ck-forum/10877-all-treatment-chicken-pox.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts