USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start the steps road... So, I will like to know how hurry should I go... I can be ready to take step1 in 3-4 months, then I guess the same for the step2, but what comes after??? when it's the time to applying to the match or whatever comes next???
I mean in order to save time, when it's the best time to apply to each step? What schedule should I follow???

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
General outline

Welcome to the forums SusieC,

I will be typing my answer and linking the text to other threads and resources so that the answer does not get prolonged;

After finishing your Step 1 and Step 2 CK you have to pass the third exam which is Step 2 CS. When you pass all three you will be ECFMG certified.

The matching season starts on September 1st of every year (read Match Timeline and Residency Matching general info). It's recommended that you are ECFMG certified before start applying for a residency match.

If you can finish all these three exams before September 2011 then you might be able to apply for the 2011-2012 season and your residency starts in July 2012.

Many IMGs also fortify their profile with some kind of United States Clinical Experience (commonly shortened USCE) such an experience can in the form of observerships, externships, or research.

Depending on the specialty that you are aiming at your scores ideally should be in the 90s and even above 95 if you are looking for a highly competitive specialties such as surgical branches or dermatology or radiology.

I also recommend you carefully read the threads tagged with Step-1-Starters

Please let me know if you have further queries after reading this and the related links.

·
Registered
625 Posts
....If you can finish all these three exams before September 2011 then you might be able to apply for the 2011-2012 season and your residency starts in July 2011.....
Perfect summary, just one little thing - your residency actually starts July 2012 if you do the 2011-2012 match ;)

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you can finish all these three exams before September 2011 then you might be able to apply for the 2011-2012 season and your residency starts in July 2012.
If matching starts Sep 1st 2011, why is there a large gap - almost a year - between this date & the start of residency? :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts