USMLE Forums banner

where to focus after Kaplan notes?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  knosway14 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am an IMG from Portugal and plan on taking the exam in August. I finished reading Kaplan lecture notes and I'm thinking on re-reading them and completing FA with the missing things. Do you think it is a good idea or is it too time consuming? I have not read FA or done UWorld yet.

Thank you!

#2 ·
Oi (?)
im andres from colombia, i did a plan similar to you
i did 2 read Kaplan Lecture notes twice , but the 1st time was not
a good read, i was working at the time i read it for first time
so i read again a second time when i finished my internship and it was much better, if on the first read you DID A CONSIOUS READING and UNDERSTOOD EVERYTHING (NOT MEMORIZING JUST UNDERSTANDING)
i suggest NOT going for a second read, IF you DID READ and feel you didnt get or understand everything, i would recomend go for a detail and carefull reading, it dosent matter how many times you read Kaplan
since is a COMPREnsion BOOK not for MEMORIZING, is about building CONCEPTS AND UNDERSTANDING.

so if you did understand everything and did a carefull 1st read, i would go for FIRST AID + U WORLD, if not do a carefull second read.

i would recomend this schedgule
KAPLAN subjects + FA Chapter of that subject +DIT VIDEO of that subject + block question of that subject (uworld offline or kaplan qbook)

example:
Kaplan Pathology + FA pathology chapter + DIT video of pathology + practice question of pathology

good luck

#5 ·
i suggest DIT videos are much much shorter than kaplan and i find good that they let you know what is high yield (i think kaplan is good too just to long )
save notes and memorizing for uworld, FA and DIT when you are doing this
you will notice what is really "high yield" and take notes whit much more sense.
keep your track whit nbme
take advice, but do only what you think will work for you!
good luck!

#4 ·
Knowsway14 explained it perfectly, what we(people preparing for step1) need to do is Understand, but what is more important is MEMORIZING and that only happens when you associate your kaplan notes to your FA, like ZUMZUM or the others who took Step1 said you need to have the pages of your FA imprinted in your memory, so add from the notes to your FA and as you do UW or DIT add those too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.