USMLE Forums banner

Which is better Falcon or Kaplan for USMLE Step 1 Prep?

• [URL=http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=/00Hhi3/vMw&subid=&offerid=192924.1&type=10&tmpid=

Votes: 49 70.0%
  • [URL=http://falconreviews.com/falconusmle/upcoming_step1.php?id=1]Falcon Reviews Live USMLE Step 1 C

Votes: 23 32.9%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted on twitter the same question inquiring about thoughts on the "better" USMLE prep course option and looking for some feedback ... so ... which is better Falcon or Kaplan? Thanks and good luck studying!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I have posted on twitter the same question inquiring about thoughts on the "better" USMLE prep course option and looking for some feedback ... so ... which is better Falcon or Kaplan? Thanks and good luck studying!
You did not tell us what do you think is better :confused:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Kaplan is better for the following reasons:

First, they have centers in more states and even overseas. While Falcon is only available in Dallas and Pittsburgh.

Second, there prices are lower $3400-$5500 while Falcon prices range from $5000 to $6350!

Otherwise they are both great

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
What was the feedback to your Twitter question?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think Kaplan is better as I have applied for Kaplan live lectures @ 4300$ ...
...LOL :D
secondly Kaplan is older and experienced profs and docs are there..like fischy, sam turco, David seastone..
as far as Goljan is concerned u can buy his book from Amazon..
so Kaplan is up :happy:

·
Registered
23 Posts
which course to take?

Which course to take?

Ok so I have been studying for a year using all Kaplan books/goljan/FA/brs physio,biochem and am revising the material, and so my question is that should I take kaplan or falcon review?
I was going over my options and wrote down some advantages and disadvantages...

Kaplan--
-adv-- 14wks, can get a loan to pay,------ I think if I go for Kaplan then maybe they can help solidify concepts that I have already gone through using their books
-disadvan- no guarantees,really long, have to drive back and forth

Falcon
-adv- guarantee 40-50 score boost, they have Dr. goljan,--------- I sometimes feel that I have done Kaplan already for a year, so why not try out falcon and get a different perspective and more prep,
-disadvan- 7wks & your busy the whole day, no loans(i think)

selfprep-- just keep doing my own self study..

So what do you guys think??? What is your opinion and why?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
65 Posts
A lot of students from my school take Falcon and score VERY VERY well and say they owe it all to Falcon.

Then there are the rare outliers who say they felt like they wasted time at Falcon because they felt like it was for people with weak backgrounds and not high yield enough for them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Medical Boards

The Institute of Medical Boards is one of the oldest USMLE prep programs. Established in 1982. They only take a small group of students per program. Every student gets unlimited individual attention. The focus is not only on lectures and reviewing material but also on how to answer the questions correctly and how to time effectively on the test. Lectures are delivered by Dr. Scoville (presently at Stanford) who scored in the top percentile on USMLE examinations. Live program is located in Kansas City, and individual assessments of how students interpret the information in questions is also offered via Skype.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are comfortable studying 10hrs a day with lecture notes/First Aid, study at home. However for most IMGs its recommended to take a study course, preferably a live one as that removes the isolation one feels. You are spending time in class with others like you with similar problems. US medical students don't have that disadvantage. Also people who have taken Falcon recommend Kaplan for the ease of access and the amazing faculty. Also if you are using First Aid, stick with what you know.

TL;DR: Kaplan for familiarity, faculty and ease of access.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts