USMLE Forums banner

Which Master The Boards for CK Prep?

• [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1607146533?ie=UTF8&tag=usmleforums_vs-20&linkCode=as2&camp=178

Votes: 84 83.2%
  • [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1427798338?ie=UTF8&tag=usmleforums_vs-20&linkCode=as2&camp=178

Votes: 18 17.8%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello USMLEites!
I'm having a tough time deciding between which book to buy, the MTB STEP-2 OR MTB STEP-3 for step-2ck.

Some say that MTB-3 is better in some areas than MTB-2, but I have enough time for only one book.

I'd be thankful if anyone can advise which single book is better and why so that i can buy the relevant book.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
MTB-2

Conrad Fischer is a smart guy, he knows very well what comes in CK and what comes in Step 3 exam, I don't think he'd written a special CK book for nothing, that book must contain the relevant CK info.

I'd go for MTB-2

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Both OK

They are both good
I was reading the MTB-3 then I receive the MTB-CK, I noticed that MTB-CK is focusing more on the "best initial test, best diagnostic test, ..etc" which is really what we need for the CK prep, so I voted for MTB-CK.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good poll

I have completed two reads of kap notes and one read of uw.
I'm gonna start MTB-2 today..

I'll inform u guys how it is.

I think it should be used as FA. The reason I haven't started it so far is that it wasn't available in my country until a few days ago, however,for those who are in early stages of prep or are gonna start soon, I suggest to use it early. As is the way for using FA i.e., the relevant part after reading each subject's kap notes and then just 2 weeks b4 exam...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good poll

I have completed two reads of kap notes and one read of uw.
I'm gonna start MTB-2 today..

I'll inform u guys how it is.

I think it should be used as FA. The reason I haven't started it so far is that it wasn't available in my country until a few days ago, however,for those who are in early stages of prep or are gonna start soon, I suggest to use it early. As is the way for using FA i.e., the relevant part after reading each subject's kap notes and then just 2 weeks b4 exam...
hi dr elham,
can u tell me how long are u preparing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
which one?

Hello USMLEites!
I'm having a tough time deciding between which book to buy, the MTB STEP-2 OR MTB STEP-3 for step-2ck.

Some say that MTB-3 is better in some areas than MTB-2, but I have enough time for only one book.

I'd be thankful if anyone can advise which single book is better and why so that i can buy the relevant book.
Thanks in advance!
hello cool atomic,
can you plz let me know which book did you use?my friend suggested to combine mtb for internal medicine wid kaplan notes and the rest of subjects with kaplan notes and mtb 3.
is this a good combo? plz let me know.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello cool atomic,
can you plz let me know which book did you use?my friend suggested to combine mtb for internal medicine wid kaplan notes and the rest of subjects with kaplan notes and mtb 3.
is this a good combo? plz let me know.
hey sparco,
I've just started on MTB-2 because i ordered this book based on the poll results above. I think its fairly good and will be done in another 2 weeks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good book, but FA is better.

Hey Guys,

I have finished 1 read of MTB for Ck
Its a good book only for a few topics like
1. CVS
2. renal
3. Rheumatology
4. Endocrinology
5. Infectious diseases ( only the initial antibiotic discussion)

Remaining units like GIT, CNS and Pulmo are not up to the required standards.

Surgery is bad.
Obg and peds are avg.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have the book but not started yet... why everyone is saying do it 2-3 times when it is not up to mark..... How eveyone supplementing deficit ones??...i guess we have to read mtb 2 for IM, deficit part from kaplan, FA and mtb3 for surgery , obs and pead. Thats what i heard from friends so i am planning to do that. But when to start mtb along first read or second read..before online q bank or along q bank suscription??:scared:

·
Registered
21 Posts
my idea

my plan is to read MTB 2 (IM part) along with kaplan for IM together (first read) and at the same time solve UWorld Qs subjectwise and do the annotations in MTB which in the end will be my source of revision, I'm not planning to do FA and will follow the same plan for other subjects combining Kapllan notes with MTB 3 and Uworld Qs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have compared both mtb2 n mtb 3 in detail with the kaplan Internal Medicine to choose one bk for myself....mtb 2 is the exact summary of kaplan bt its written in paragraph forms n gets a lil lenghty....whereas mtb3 is written in points form n covers exactly the same topics as in mtb 2 n is not so lengthy..their sequence varies only....so i think,i'l go mtb3...this is my point of view...

·
Registered
87 Posts
well i am doing mtb 2 for IM it is for sure this book is amazing but for paeds u have to look for FA also, i would like to know that what about gynae obs i haven't study gynae obs from kaplan n planning to give exam at the end of oct so shall i go for mtb 2 n FA for gynae obs or shall i go for kaplan notes n so far my uworld score in tutor mode is 76%....Happy-2

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi dear friends to be frankly i am doing MTB 2 n first aid with uworld but yet to have appear in exam by the end of november so can't guide u but i feel mtb 2 with first aid is enough.......

1 - 20 of 41 Posts