USMLE Forums banner

Which Subject to start studying for Step 1?

• Anatomy

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Biochemistry

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Physiology

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Pathology

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Pharmacology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Behavioral Sciences

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microbiology

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Immunology

Votes: 2 3.4%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
751 Posts
People advise to start with the largest, most annoying subject. If you're reading from Kaplan lecture notes, pathology is not the largest, and can be read fairly quickly. So I'd start with physiology or anatomy. After finishing those two, do pathology, then microbiology, then biochemistry, then pharmacology, and finally behavioral sciences.

This is just a quick scheme; any order would do; it's up to you in the end.

· Registered
55 Posts
starting off with physiology and biochemistry in tandem will help u to build up the basics helpful for understanding the concepts in pathology. histology will add up to physiology and biochem. neuro-anatomy must be stressed upon quite seriously.
my advice is to start with physiology, but complete biochemistry before starting pathology. rest can be followed in the same order as Haisook advised.
good luck.:)

· Registered
281 Posts
Start with anatomy.. Its key to understanding the body since almost every question on the USMLE involves some sort of anatomy.

Pathology is the next one to study because its the most important and the hardest to study for on the exam.

· Registered
281 Posts
Kaplan Anatomy is more than enough... But the problem is that you will never remember everything haha, thats what happened to me and it affected my grade a little.

So what i would suggest is to have a smaller review book along side with the kaplan book to use.. Something like High Yield (Anatomy/Embryo/Neuro/Histo) or Compass Anatomy book.. There small enough to be able to be able to review continuously everyday as you move through the kaplan anatomy book.

· Registered
220 Posts
In my opinion, pathology from Goljan integrates all the step 1 material. So, I think that you need to study all the others first and leave pathology last.

Actually, what you need is a stepwise approach, and start from the most simple to the most complex.

Every book has a little physiology, anatomy, biochm and micro and immuno in it, so it will be easier to learn the basics first and then make bigger steps until you reach patho.

· Registered
220 Posts
I did step 2ck last month you mean i should i start with pathology?
I suggest you start with your weak areas like the basic sciences. You have no idea how big and how complex they are especially if you are a graduate. You will get tired with them and then, you will "relax" with something you know about like patho....

· Registered
281 Posts
hey they Soha

Im actually about to start my clinicals in the US. Is there any books you found helpfull to study for the CK?

You should probably go over what ever subject you think you have problems with first... Do NBME1 as a way to locate your problem areas in which you can work on from that point.

· Registered
335 Posts
Even though the poll goes in favor of Physiology and then Anatomy, I started with Immunology! My reason was that it seemed easier, and shorter. So for a start, I found immunology good. By the time I was finishing Immuno, I had established my study routine and was more into it. My next subject was Physiology, then Anatomy and then Biochem. Pathology was my last subject. The reason being that Goljan kind of integrates all the subjects so it was easier to understand it after studying all the other subjects.

At the end of the day, I guess it doesn't depend on the sequence, but how well you do it. So just grab one and start studying. Best of luck!!:)

· Registered
81 Posts
if u want to grip in steps then 3Ps are very important physio, phatho & pharma. so for starters i will suggest go for physio then patho and then pharma. 85% paper of steps i think comes from these 3 subject.
I am very much against to start with anatomy b/c it is very volatile subject & need more concentration then other subjects, so it should be in middle of sequence not in start.

· Registered
590 Posts
I would say start with Anatomy then physio, biochem and then move your way up... Because if you don't know the parts of the body and how it functions then it's harder to do the pathology of it.. And if you don't know how these diseases are caused then you won't understand why the drugs (pharm) are used...
Or my other suggestion is if you haven't studied hardcore in a while then start with something that you find easy... because that makes you get in the study mood and then increase your hours everyday and continue studying the other subject areas..

· Registered
651 Posts
Just F.Y.I. the first subject i did, is the one that's giving me more problems because it's hard to remember for me all the specifics i read for anatomy. So, as an advice, for the first subject, make flashcards, and read them half way through your first reading.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.