USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the match is from September to March, why is it that you have to be certified by September 1st. What happen if you get certified in November for example. You still have a pretty good chance right? I mean you're still going to be in the match for 4 months, so why is people obsessed with september 1st !!!

I have no clue about this, some help will be appreciated.

Thank you friends

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
This is why ....

Although the matching season is open from September until mid February, the reality is that most IMG friendly residency programs start looking at ERAS applicants during the first two weeks of September. Then they start sending interview invitation in the second half of September until the end of October. Then they start doing interviews from early October until late in December.

Most "IMG Friendly" residency programs have finished the job by mid to late December. Therefore, if you apply late, there's a big risk that your application won't be even looked at.

Nevertheless, there are many residency programs (specially university programs) keep looking at applicants until late December or even some of them until late January. So you do have a chance with them but much smaller chance compared to the early September advantage.

As for the exact date of September 1st. I think it's exaggerated. If you apply anytime during the first half of September you should be fine.

If you are asking specifically about why to be ECFMG certified then please read here http://www.usmle-forums.com/ecfmg-forum/5852-img-student-applying-eras.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts