USMLE Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey friends i have problem....

the question which asking if patient survive for two year then what is the probability that patient will survive 4 years.....some are saying multiply all four yer probability..some are saying multiply only 3rd and fourth year probability...can anyone explain basic fundamental to give answer of such type of questions...:eek:

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE..PLEASE GUYS HELP ME...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

the question which asking if patient survive for two year then what is the probability that patient will survive 4 years.....some are saying multiply all four yer probability..some are saying multiply only 3rd and fourth year probability...can anyone explain basic fundamental to give answer of such type of questions...:eek:

First you need the probability of survival. Then this becomes just a conditional probability (given that the patient survived 2 years, what is the probability...).

The probability that event B occurs, given that event A has already occurred is
P(B|A) = P(A and B) / P(A)

Happy-2

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First you need the probability of survival. Then this becomes just a conditional probability (given that the patient survived 2 years, what is the probability...).

Happy-2
hey bebix dint get you....can u explain me in detail????...with example????...are u going to give nbme 4???..bcoz i had question in nbme 4...if u r not giving nbme 4 then i can tell u actual question..so u can explain me better!!!!:(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Happy-2
u had told that probability of A and B.....P(A and B)...MEANS???...we should add or multiply???..

·
Registered
64 Posts

It is conditional probability. Use this formula:p(A|B) = P(B and A) / P(B) and VENN diagram. In this formula P(A andB) is joint area of VENN diagram, in this case 4 year survival is the part of the 2 year survival .Joint area equal the probability of 4 year survival. Probability of 4 year survial= joint area probability(4 year) / 2 year survival

1 - 11 of 11 Posts