USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 30 yr old woman cannot stop worrying about whether she might have accidentally run over a person when she last drove her car. She is temporarily reassured when she calls the local police station to see if anyone was killed by a hit and run driver while she was on the road, but the next time she drives, her fear returns with even greater intensity. What is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Panic disorder
B. Generalized anxiety disorder
C. Obsessive compulsive disorder
D. Posttraumatic stress disorder
E. Substance induced anxiety disorder
:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think it would be A. Panic disorder.

In order to qualify as an OCD there should be two components; obsession with an idea which forces the pt to do a action (compulsion).

·
Registered
373 Posts
:redcheeks; Oh my bad .....

Among the given options OCD seems to be the right answer but its not a typical OCD scenario ...the compulsion part is missing... I still think anxiety would have been the right option if given ...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yup - OCD

I think for it to be generalized anxiety - you have to show that the anxiety exists under more than one circumstance in the patients life.

If you find that the fear is limited to something like driving then its an obsession with driving. The compulsive part is that she only feels okay after she's called to double check which would not be considered normal behaviour - this is comparable to the classic OCD patient that has to touch a doorknob exactly 13 times or stamp their left foot three times before they leave the house.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well i precieved that the pt was just being anxious .....I think i am going through questions too quickly and missing important information....

yes you are rite OCD fits better. Thanks for explaining..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts