USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody can deny that ebooks have started to disseminate and your USMLE references are no exempt.

Ebooks have features that are really convenient for us students. For example we no longer need to stuff our back bags with all those heavy texts and references, we can have hundreds of them in our small gadget be it a mobile or iPhone or blackberry or Kindle.

Another great feature is the digital search. Ever stumbled upon a term that you want to find in First Aid and is not there in the index! No more, just enter it in the search box and you'll land on the page in no time.

Another wonderful feature is the cross linking and external linking. For example (See Chapter II for details), no this sentence is underlined and linked and with click you are there in no time. Or for example you have First Aid telling you of great website on the Internet, just click on it and you are there.

This will certainly save time, make us more efficient in reading, and best of all it's definitely greener and in many instances it's even cheaper than the paperback editions.

Look at Elsevier's Student Consult website, they quickly realized that students will no longer carry traditional books and they want a digital solution and so they provided it.

Now, in the case of First Aid, they so far made their Q & A for step 1 and their basic sciences available in Kindle editions. But they have not yet provided the mother First Aid Book in Kindle! Let's wish they'll do.

By the way, you can read your Kindle ebooks not only on your Kindle but also on your iPhone and other mobile platforms.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Yah but there's a problem with ebooks when it comes to USMLE reading
You cannot write on them
All of us would like to scribble circles and arrows and boxes
In fact by the end of the step my books will be filled with all kinds of colors

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've been using Kaplan qbank to go on my Palm
It's a great service from Kaplan
Once you purchase any Kaplan qbank, you will get the Kaplan qbank on the go which you can install on any Palm device
I used to do my questions while in the train :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
eBooks are a waist of time

you should print them out and bind them instead of reading them over the pc since you can't make notes. Buy a printer.. And isn't it illegal to download those books

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think the firstaidteam should also make ready their Flash Facts into mobile PDA/iphone application. That would be great because not only does it provide you flash cards, but it also shows you the corresponding FA page where the flash card is derived from.

·
Registered
124 Posts
oh kindle...

ok, cool, anyways the best thing to do is carry it with you in paper form at school so you can write down notes whenver you find something useful

1 - 7 of 7 Posts