USMLE Forums

USMLE Forums (https://www.usmle-forums.com/)
-   USMLE Step 1 Forum (https://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/)
-   -   October-November-December Step 1 Takers (https://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/29804-october-november-december-step-1-takers.html)

DrPKR 06-14-2012 10:16 AM

October-November-December Step 1 Takers
 
Hey!
Please share how the months ahead should be planned or share your plan.
I'm slightly slack with the prep. I need motivation! :scared:

Teona 06-14-2012 10:38 AM

Hello!

Your topic is such a great idea. Thank you! I hope I will keep up my level of motivation:D

I am planning to take my Step 1 exam in September (somewhere in the second week). This week I am finishing Pharmacology and starting next week Behavioral Sciences (for 1 week).

I am planning to start a Kaplan Qbank (1 month I guess) and UWorld subscription (2 months) and revise all the subjects again and again. I didn't come up with an exact plan yet. I would like to take a test before starting revision to see what my score is. Any suggestions? My target score is 250+.

Going back to study now...Wish you good luck! And I will keep posting!:)

Doc4Step1 06-14-2012 01:04 PM

I am in too.
My eligibility period is Oct, Nov , Dec.

I started back in April.Finished Physio except for Endocrine ,Skin.Then read Pathology Goljan RR, Except for the same subjects.I also listened to the Goljan Audios along with it.Read a couple of biochemistry chapters.But was boring , so left it for later. :)) .Then I started Pharma.And read a couple of sections.along with Kaplan videos.But all of a sudden I realized that before reaching Antimicrobial drugs, I need to read Microbiology...So Now I am reading "Micro made ridiculously simple"..Its so interesting I am addicted to it.lolz.Anyway I should finish it by the end of next week.(fingers Crossed) and then start Pharma from where I left it.

Why I am leaving some subjects ? The reason is that I want to finish everything which needs only one read.And then start those tough things and read them again and again along with FA and UW. :scared:

I am a very below average student...But Now I think this exam is doable.Just need time and patience.

Keep on posting your plans.

Happy-2

Incredible 06-14-2012 01:32 PM

Hey I am taking it in sept, oct, nov too. Thanks guys for your plan sharing. I hope to post mine too, soon

zlatka81 06-14-2012 02:42 PM

I'm also planning to take step in that period, but probably in december. Finished with 1 read of biochem, micro, immunology, physio, reading anatomy right now. Created my own schedule since I am working and have a little baby, but trying very hard to stick to it. Cramfighter helps me stay on track. Also doing USMLE RX bank, want to finish it along with FA, then switch to kaplan Qbank and laster on to UW. But of course it is ideally, don't know how it will work out for me. :confused:

DrNitinArya 06-15-2012 04:39 AM

HI even consider me on the same boat i am almost done with kaplan.

dockhi 06-15-2012 05:14 AM

Hey, me too! (Sep/Oct). Studying since Feb, done with Kaplan first read and system wise FA. Now doing 2nd read of Kaplan. Hopefully will take MUCH less time than it did for the first. Want to get done by Sep end!

dockhi 06-15-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNitinArya (Post 126338)
HI even consider me on the same boat i am almost done with kaplan.

Hey, when did you start your prep?

dr.hobbes 06-15-2012 09:39 AM

Hi me too planning to take it on oct... Finished pharm path phys immuno doing biochem now... Have to pick up my pace

tarsuc 06-15-2012 11:31 AM

How late can i go to book the slot of Oct,nov,dec?

Have you guys all booked slots already?

Teona 06-15-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarsuc (Post 126434)
How late can i go to book the slot of Oct,nov,dec?

Have you guys all booked slots already?

I haven't booked a place yet. I guess is depends where are you planning to take your exam. I check Prometric website from time to time to see if they have available places and they still do. So I am still relaxed concerning this issue.:cool:

neelima208 06-16-2012 05:08 AM

I am in the same boat tooo. Did physiology, neuroanatomy , half of biochem , genetics, a bit of golijan, planning to give it by the end of october. Complete first read by the midst of july,then do kap qbank along with 2nd read and fa, then uw with fa again then test.

DrPKR 06-16-2012 10:23 AM

Thank you guys! You have me motivated :))
 
With your replies I realized that I've so many co-passengers in the boat:D

I finished Biochem(left out genetics), Phys,(both from Kaplan's) Goljan Path with audio(except MSK, Derm, CNS-plan to do CNS after finishing neuroanat) partly behavioral(BRS).

Starting with Immuno with video(Kaplan) tomorrow, and then Micro(MMRS).
All of which I plan to finish bu this month's end.

Thereon, I shall start with Pharma(Kaplan with video) and be done with it in 15 days.

Later in July (by 16th) I shall start with Anat(Embryo, Neuro, gross and Histo, in that order)

Then I'll start with Behavioral which I am pretty nervous about(CAN YOU GUYS, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT MATERIAL YOU GUYS ARE USING FOR IT, WHERE DO YOU GET CONRAD FISCHER'S 100 CASES thingy)

I plan to start UW by mid July. (what do you think about the timings?)

Is there anything that you think is not alright? Please please point it out...

Thanks a ton already! :happy:

dr.hobbes 06-16-2012 09:18 PM

Hi anyone planning to take any Kaplan courses... Any suggestions? Do u guys know anything abt Kaplan classroom anywhere course ?

Teona 06-18-2012 12:48 PM

Hy guys!

How is your preparation going so far?

I wanted to say that I have just finished Pharmacology (Kaplan notes and videos) and starting the last book in the Kaplan series: Behavioral Science. I hope to finish it in 5 days, because at the end of the week I am planning a short vacation, a camping trip.

So I will start next week to repeat and make tests, albeit I haven't come up with an exact plan.

I wish you all good luck with your studies and let's all stay motivated with the help of this forumHappy-2

Rookie 06-18-2012 10:51 PM

Great thread
 
Hello every one.. Planning for end of sep... Haven't scheduled the eligibility period yet though.. Left with physio(endocrine, renal, GIT) half goljan RR path and molecular biology..

Last sub done: micro but skipped comparative micro and flow charts as I wanted to move to other subjects..

koshurbuoy 06-19-2012 05:53 AM

Hello,

Me aiming for Dec, probably. I'm going through pharmac. Need to speed up.. Was thinking of starting similar thread some time back. Good to see this thread.

I had a question: how do I find the courage to review a full subject for qbook after I complete it? Or, what do u all do after finishing first reading of a subject?

DrPKR 07-01-2012 07:43 AM

My progress so far
 
I'm doing Microbiology after finishing Immunology last week.
I plan to finish it in 5 more days.(It's been 5 days since I started MMRS and now I'm reading through gram negatives.)

What are you guys doing or done with?

:)

DrPKR 07-01-2012 07:52 AM

Reading on!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshurbuoy (Post 127134)
Hello,

Me aiming for Dec, probably. I'm going through pharmac. Need to speed up.. Was thinking of starting similar thread some time back. Good to see this thread.

I had a question: how do I find the courage to review a full subject for qbook after I complete it? Or, what do u all do after finishing first reading of a subject?

My first reading is simply a go through kind. I just read on and only highlight stuff I never have heard of before. I might like to write down and consolidate certain things which are very HY and probably more of cram-requiring! As with the conceptual things, I simply read and understand and then go on to the next topic.
Also going through questions (from the subject you have READ) in this forum help to boost your confidence(If you answer them right.:)) But if you are wrong you still take home a point to understand and remember)

DrPKR 07-01-2012 07:58 AM

Thanks, Teona:)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teona (Post 126987)
Hy guys!

How is your preparation going so far?

I wanted to say that I have just finished Pharmacology (Kaplan notes and videos) and starting the last book in the Kaplan series: Behavioral Science. I hope to finish it in 5 days, because at the end of the week I am planning a short vacation, a camping trip.

So I will start next week to repeat and make tests, albeit I haven't come up with an exact plan.

I wish you all good luck with your studies and let's all stay motivated with the help of this forumHappy-2

Hey! Thanks for posting inspiration!Happy-2
I'm not sure of how I should take on Anatomy(incl. Embr,Hist, Neur)..
Can you please help me with that ie how many days for each and from what books?

Teona 07-01-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPKR (Post 130099)
Hey! Thanks for posting inspiration!Happy-2
I'm not sure of how I should take on Anatomy(incl. Embr,Hist, Neur)..
Can you please help me with that ie how many days for each and from what books?

Hy!
I don't have an exact plan right now. I just finished first reading of Kaplan (videos and notes) and starting revising. I want to revise a chapter from each book every day (7chapters/day)+FA and make one test from Kaplan QBank/day. I will do embrio at the end of the revising since it needs more cramming time. Some of the Histo subjects I have already revised and I also plan to look for some pictures on the internet. When it comes to Neuroanatomy...ohh boy! I don't know how I will tackle this, but I am sure that I will spend a couple of good days. I am planning to spend one month on revising and doing KaplanQBank. I hope it will work!
Keep you post it!Happy-2

beka-CTS 07-01-2012 09:15 AM

Hi Guys. I'm going to take exam in first half of october.

I've already gone through kaplan( except immuno (levinson), patho (goljan), micro(mmrs),neuroanat(hy)). i've began doing FA along with subject revision, already gone through behavioral,psychology, molec biochem, cell biology + genetics.i'm doing revision from corresponding books and annotating them in FA. going to do metabolism biochem,microbiology and immunology in next 20 days ( it sounds too much time,but doing kaplan q-bank and KLN-s takes time + i'm doing my surgical rotation and :rolleyes:). At the end of July i'll be done with general section of FA and it'll be full with info, thus it will bemy ONLY book for the last time cramming :D. in august going to do Systems in FA ( will do NMS phys & pathoma vids. for all systems + HY neuro + COA for extremities :rolleyes: ).
At the end of august going to take my first NBME online and depending on score i'll book my exam date. in september will do DIT vids and uw online.

P.s. aiming for Score around 230 -10/+ 15 :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: yes it sucks that exam is coming close :D

Gl

crackmle 07-01-2012 06:20 PM

hi!
 
hi,
first of all thanks for starting this thread. i began my prep a months back, i finished my first read of micro and will be done with physio in a few days. i am plannin to finish path and anat in july, pharm, biochem n beh science in aug, and then start doing qbanks(uw,kpln,usmlerx) and take up the exam in dec.
am i doing this right? i read only 3 to 4 hours a day and 6 days a week. i will be increasing the number of hours soon. how many hours do u guys read? am i treading on the right path?

p4a99 07-02-2012 01:29 PM

Exam Date October 16th

Currently working on UW. I have 39% left.
Next: FA, Kaplan Qbank, DIT...

zlatka81 07-02-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackmle (Post 130165)
hi,
first of all thanks for starting this thread. i began my prep a months back, i finished my first read of micro and will be done with physio in a few days. i am plannin to finish path and anat in july, pharm, biochem n beh science in aug, and then start doing qbanks(uw,kpln,usmlerx) and take up the exam in dec.
am i doing this right? i read only 3 to 4 hours a day and 6 days a week. i will be increasing the number of hours soon. how many hours do u guys read? am i treading on the right path?

if you are planning on reading it just once, then you must have great memory. I am already done with biochem and genetics and don't remember a thing, planning on reading it second time soon. Overall you should read at lest 2-3 times and learn by hard FA. Honestly, if you are reading only 4 hrs a day, you will not be able to finish pharm, biochem and beh in 1 month. It took me 1 month to read and watch video for biochem only! Plus, how will you manage to finish 3 Qbanks in 3 months? You should reconsider your strategy or do only 1 Qbank.
BTW I also read 4 hrs per day Mon-Thur and trying to study at least 8 hrs on Fri-Sat. People, who passed the step suggested to study at least 30 hrs per week.

Doc4Step1 07-02-2012 03:41 PM

Ok so I am done with Behavioral Science along with Biostatics and Medical ethics (The hundred questions)...I am doing well on Kaplan Qbank online and also did well on those 100 questions in the book in the end.

Hopefully I wont have to come back to Behavioral Science.BUT looks like I will have to go through Biostatics a few more times...Its so confusing.

Hope to start Anatomy or Immunology next.

Done with Micro from CMMRS..Goljan Patho and some Audio...Also have Pathoma, so will do that instead of reading Goljan again and then once again the goljan audios.

Exam hopefully in Dec.

dr.hobbes 07-02-2012 03:54 PM

Hey guys!
I still have micro frm mrs and genetics frm kaplan left my goal is to finish it by July 14 and start my 2 nd read and question bank from July 16... I don't seem to remember anything from what I read until now... Is this normal?

zlatka81 07-02-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.hobbes (Post 130335)
Hey guys!
I still have micro frm mrs and genetics frm kaplan left my goal is to finish it by July 14 and start my 2 nd read and question bank from July 16... I don't seem to remember anything from what I read until now... Is this normal?

I don't know if it is normal, but the same happened to me. I am sure other people would say the same. After second read of Kaplan, go over FA and start Qbank. Then you would understand that you actually remember some of the material. With micro I still remember a lot, because I was good at it in my med school, but genetics is still my weakest one. But it is better even after 1 read of Kaplan. But I did some of the Qbanks along with it, so questions actually helped me to remember some of the syndromes.

crackmle 07-02-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatka81 (Post 130300)
if you are planning on reading it just once, then you must have great memory. I am already done with biochem and genetics and don't remember a thing, planning on reading it second time soon. Overall you should read at lest 2-3 times and learn by hard FA. Honestly, if you are reading only 4 hrs a day, you will not be able to finish pharm, biochem and beh in 1 month. It took me 1 month to read and watch video for biochem only! Plus, how will you manage to finish 3 Qbanks in 3 months? You should reconsider your strategy or do only 1 Qbank.
BTW I also read 4 hrs per day Mon-Thur and trying to study at least 8 hrs on Fri-Sat. People, who passed the step suggested to study at least 30 hrs per week.

hi, yes i also think 4 hrs is very less. i am gradually increasing it and will make it 8 hrs per day for 6 days a week. i have gone thru pharm and biochem videos a few months back, but dont remember, so it will be my 2nd read. in 3 months can i do only one qbank? i also have all of them offline and am doing them simultaneously. how do i go about with my qbanks? pls suggest.

Litax 07-03-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPKR (Post 126125)
Hey!
Please share how the months ahead should be planned or share your plan.
I'm slightly slack with the prep. I need motivation! :scared:

I have the same problem. My test date is in November. I am reading the Kaplan lecture notes, FA, Kaplan Qbank and maybe USMLE world.

SOBE223 07-05-2012 04:57 PM

I just wanted to throw in my plan in here too just to get it out there...

Just finished classes a month ago. Did pretty well in my pharm, immuno, and micro course. So no kaplan videos for these topics.

Went through kaplan physio, and biochem.

Going through currently pathoma and BRS physio. Along with UW and FA.
Hoping to take it in NOV!!!

motivated 07-05-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashoka1202 (Post 130917)
I just wanted to throw in my plan in here too just to get it out there...

Just finished classes a month ago. Did pretty well in my pharm, immuno, and micro course. So no kaplan videos for these topics.

Went through kaplan physio, and biochem.

Going through currently pathoma and BRS physio. Along with UW and FA.
Hoping to take it in NOV!!!

How are u finding pathoma? I intend on taking it in nov as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

SOBE223 07-05-2012 06:31 PM

Dr Sattar (pathoma's professor) is amazing. It's much more of a visual learning vs goljans audio. I used him for my path classes and they've helped me get through finals.


Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

maverick doc 07-05-2012 10:33 PM

hi. its nice to see this thread. im taking the exam in nov end. done with biochem,physio of kaplan lecture notes. starting pharmacology soon !study hard people..

Rookie 07-06-2012 12:25 AM

In the process of registering query!!
 
Hope many of you have scheduled the exam.. Guidance needed.. Please go to the following thread and help.. I'm about to pay want to make sure if I've missed some thing.. Thank you

http://www.usmle-forums.com/ecfmg-fo...tml#post130960 for oct-dec eligibility period..

Have submitted application for Ecfmg certification in nov 2011..I had not paid $50 then.. Scheduling step 1 now.. !!!

My Ecfmg home page says
You can

Begin a new application for step1 /CS/ck

And

There's is a 187 form abailable for download ..

Am I at any prob!!!:scared::o

DrPKR 07-06-2012 07:31 AM

Hey!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie (Post 130989)
Hope many of you have scheduled the exam.. Guidance needed.. Please go to the following thread and help.. I'm about to pay want to make sure if I've missed some thing.. Thank you

http://www.usmle-forums.com/ecfmg-fo...tml#post130960 for oct-dec eligibility period..

Have submitted application for Ecfmg certification in nov 2011..I had not paid $50 then.. Scheduling step 1 now.. !!!

My Ecfmg home page says
You can

Begin a new application for step1 /CS/ck

And

There's is a 187 form abailable for download ..

Am I at any prob!!!:scared::o

Hey! I just saw your post. So have you registered? 'cause I haven't. How did it come through?
And is it true that these days you pay the fee before you get a form 186(that needs to be signed by college authorities)?
Good luck with the rest of process:)

Rookie 07-06-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPKR (Post 131039)
And is it true that these days you pay the fee before you get a form 186(that needs to be signed by college authorities)?

Ya 50$ for application for Ecfmg certification

DrPKR 07-06-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie (Post 131068)
Ya 50$ for application for Ecfmg certification


I mean the step 1 fee.. ie the $ 900 or so?

Rookie 07-06-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPKR (Post 131071)
I mean the step 1 fee.. ie the $ 900 or so?

Ya it's $930, before that you have to pay $50 for app for Ecfmg certification

Spark 07-06-2012 11:15 AM

Oct nov dec
 
Hi. I am doing my second read these days. Started off with anatomy and doing qbank. Doing kaplans and goljan only. Should I add any HY books? Any suggestions?

bilal121 07-06-2012 11:20 AM

..
 
Hi all...
i will give step1 in dec/jan..doing behavioural sciences these days!

Spark 07-06-2012 11:30 AM

P.s study partner
 
I am also looking for a study partner. Contact me if anybody is interested.

Doc4Step1 07-06-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilal121 (Post 131083)
Hi all...
i will give step1 in dec/jan..doing behavioural sciences these days!

For behavioral science I recommend Kaplan Video...The teacher is awesome...The videos are lengthy but its worth every minute..What I did was played it in VLC and then watched it with 1.38 speed.Saved time and didn't lose nothing.

Try to focus on Biostatics as much as u can and then do the questions at the end of the chapter.

Take behavioral subject as a nice story.

At the end Medical ethics is a nice book...You can read it one day and has "100 Questions you are most likely see on the exam".

Good Luck.

I have started PATHOMA Videos now...I am done with Goljan book.Wanna do Pathoma Videos just in case..I am exuasted...Need a break...lol

Nino 07-07-2012 10:56 AM

I'm taking in December and I feel totally clueless! I'm just about wrapping up Kaplan Pharm Videos and I intend to do RR Path next. It's taking sooooo long!!!! A friend of mine only did FA and UWorld (he did UW twice and read FA over and over) and he got a 98! I wonder if I should adopt that method. It sounds straightforward and high yield. Someone please advise me:notsure:

motivated 07-07-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nino (Post 131245)
I'm taking in December and I feel totally clueless! I'm just about wrapping up Kaplan Pharm Videos and I intend to do RR Path next. It's taking sooooo long!!!! A friend of mine only did FA and UWorld (he did UW twice and read FA over and over) and he got a 98! I wonder if I should adopt that method. It sounds straightforward and high yield. Someone please advise me:notsure:

That all depends on how long ago he graduated from med school from and how much has he retained. I have a friend who adopted the same approach and got a 85. So its a hit and miss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

neelima208 07-09-2012 01:05 AM

Started with behavioral science after a long long break, dont even know what for was the break!!! Dr.Daugherty is simply amazing, you can retain almost all the information from the very 1st read. Hope to finish it in this week...

coolbakes 07-09-2012 09:01 PM

My plan
 
Hi.... Glad to see many ppl in this thread... I am planning on taking it in nvember as well... Done with anat and almost done with physio.... My plan is July 15 to July 30 - pathology. And finish micro phram and bio chem by sept and behv sic in sept first week.... Do first aid second time in reamining days of sept.. Start world by sept half till nov..... Is this plan kinda okay????? Plz give in ur suggestions

docusmle9 07-09-2012 09:15 PM

hey guys
 
Hi guys ,
I am planning to take the step in Dec.So far i did Biochem videos on metabolism by Sam Turco and pharmacology videos.doing Goljan on side track.is anyone doing or planning to start kaplan Q bank? or when are u planning to start UW Qbank?
glad to see you all people here who are taking the step around the same time:)

koshurbuoy 07-10-2012 02:31 AM

@docusmle9
 
hi.. even i was thinking about kaplan qbank. As i went through the free sample on their website (which imo one should go thru it before purchasing), i found it to be a good supplement for KLNs, topic wise and subject wise. I think UW should be kept reserved for last 1-2 months.

Well I'm going through pharma.. U sure should have tips for me Happy-2

Bdw, which 3 month eligibility period would you pick up to include december?

DrNitinArya 07-10-2012 08:38 AM

HI even i taken mmy slot October- Nov- December. i am almost done with Kaplan now doing Kaplan medessential and would start kaplan q bank soon.

koshurbuoy 07-10-2012 08:55 PM

hi.. Is kapan medessentials a must do these days? And how did u manage to survive through the Kaplan series?

5hstar 07-11-2012 05:28 AM

hELLO. THANKS FOR THIS HELPFUL THREAD

JUST WANTED TO ask if anyone else was doing usmle rx?? i just started it ystday....

nikhilt 07-11-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5hstar (Post 131977)
hELLO. THANKS FOR THIS HELPFUL THREAD

JUST WANTED TO ask if anyone else was doing usmle rx?? i just started it ystday....

i did rx...find it useful in the sense tht it helpd me memorise fa well...bt qts r very straight fwd..u either no or dont know... i wasnt happy with my scores in rx...only good thng was it is clinical vignette form of fa.

DrNitinArya 07-11-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koshurbuoy (Post 131870)
hi.. Is kapan medessentials a must do these days? And how did u manage to survive through the Kaplan series?

hi No medessential is not essential, its just i found it a summary of kaplan series and east to do compred FA so, i am using it as a substitute of FA. thats it. are u using it.

bilal121 07-11-2012 11:33 AM

5hstar
 
Yes i am doing usmleRX..it is good ;)

amaryllisa 07-11-2012 08:28 PM

taking the exam in December
 
Hi all.
I am an IMG, started studying last 3 weeks ago.
finished immunology and in one week will be also done with microbiology.
my plan contains biochemistry, genetics, behavioral and then system devided (embryo, anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharma)

what i was wondering guys is whether u are gonna use dit..i am not familiar with this stuff.

please tell me your opinion.

thnx a prior.

amaryllisa

koolkiller88 08-31-2012 03:37 AM

Doing UW (real thing 20th nov.)
 
My exam on 20th nov.
Past:I am done with first reading of all kaplan subject. Some topics i read twice (it seems i have to read them once more;))
Done with first reading of goljian
Done with 55.46% of FA :D
PresentNow doing UW (started 3 days before, Done with 250 questions), Kinda liking it:D
And reviewing goljians and FA (intergrating UW notes on FA and notebook)
Future trying to finish UW by 25th sept.
Need 5 days of break for MCI FMGE exam.
Then review all UW things for more 5-10 days
Take UWSE 1 on 15th octuber.
Then keep on reviewing stuff
1. FA
2. UW notes
3. Important chapters and week chapters of goljian
4. Genetics, biochem, B.S. from kaplan notes
Try to cram every damn micro and pharma;)
Thats my plan!
lets see how it works.

DrPKR 08-31-2012 04:34 AM

Onto Kaplan's for second reading and plan there on!
 
It seems I took unnecessarily long time to complete first reading. But still done with everything almost.

Started the revision. Plan to annotate HY forgettable concepts in FA.

Physio--Finish by 2nd Sept
BioChm--3 days for CellBio and others
2 days for Genetics
Goljan--10 days
Microb--3 days
Pharma--3 days
G.Anat--1 day
Embry--1 day
Neuro--2 days
Biostats and behav--Along with UW subscription

Hence, I plan to start UWorld (along with FA annotation) by next month for sure. Which I'll finish in about 30 days and revise in another 7-10 days. then
I intend to revise and review for 2-3 weeks before the D-Day!

PS--> NBMEs after UW.. at 1-2-3 weeks away from the big day.

Will modify as I go along!

hoor 08-31-2012 05:05 AM

19 dec
 
exam on 19 dec!:o done with first read of kaplans without patho.for that i am doing pathoma these days.will start first aid in a few days.:o then revison from 20th sep till 31 oct along with u world.then only FA and Uworld in nov and dec:rolleyes:

hoor 08-31-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOBE223 (Post 130944)
Dr Sattar (pathoma's professor) is amazing. It's much more of a visual learning vs goljans audio. I used him for my path classes and they've helped me get through finals.


Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

i am also doing pathoma.are you using any other source too for patho or jus pathoma.plz do reply.

tootsie 08-31-2012 06:14 AM

So none of you plan on doing kaplan qbank?

I have a good grasp of concepts, but to feel more confident I wanted to do what other people advice which is doing tons of questions. I wanted to even do RX but now I don't think i'll have time.

I'd like to take the test in late Dec. Do I need to schedule a date as of now. I don't want to schedule and then have something come in the way (which is very common when you have a large family) and I cannot deal with anxiety and I get anxiety knowing that I have scheduled and there is no way out.

How imperative is it to schedule so soon? Will I find a date for when I want it at the scheduling center?

In terms of what I've done, it's really hard to say, because I don't just read something and move on to the next, I really try to understand it (not memorize it) but understand it well enough to be able to grab it even next year and still be very familiar with a topic. I'll finish patho, pharm, anatomy and Behavioral for 1st time, then onto the revision of them with qbank. Thereafter, I'll start UW, but really wanted to do RX since many say it's a good question bank.

I'm shooting for 250+, so I was really interested in having it done that way, but if it can't be done, then i'll just concentrate on UW.

DrPKR 08-31-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootsie (Post 143814)
So none of you plan on doing kaplan qbank?

I have a good grasp of concepts, but to feel more confident I wanted to do what other people advice which is doing tons of questions. I wanted to even do RX but now I don't think i'll have time.

I'd like to take the test in late Dec. Do I need to schedule a date as of now. I don't want to schedule and then have something come in the way (which is very common when you have a large family) and I cannot deal with anxiety and I get anxiety knowing that I have scheduled and there is no way out.

How imperative is it to schedule so soon? Will I find a date for when I want it at the scheduling center?

In terms of what I've done, it's really hard to say, because I don't just read something and move on to the next, I really try to understand it (not memorize it) but understand it well enough to be able to grab it even next year and still be very familiar with a topic. I'll finish patho, pharm, anatomy and Behavioral for 1st time, then onto the revision of them with qbank. Thereafter, I'll start UW, but really wanted to do RX since many say it's a good question bank.

I'm shooting for 250+, so I was really interested in having it done that way, but if it can't be done, then i'll just concentrate on UW.

Hey! I was thinking of doing KaplanQB. But I'm confused as to where to put it in my schedule!

I am thinking of either putting it midst this reading.. or after doing UW.
I am pretty confused..
I think I'll decide once I finish 2nd reading of Goljan.

DrPKR 08-31-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootsie (Post 143814)
So none of you plan on doing kaplan qbank?

I have a good grasp of concepts, but to feel more confident I wanted to do what other people advice which is doing tons of questions. I wanted to even do RX but now I don't think i'll have time.

I'd like to take the test in late Dec. Do I need to schedule a date as of now. I don't want to schedule and then have something come in the way (which is very common when you have a large family) and I cannot deal with anxiety and I get anxiety knowing that I have scheduled and there is no way out.

How imperative is it to schedule so soon? Will I find a date for when I want it at the scheduling center?

In terms of what I've done, it's really hard to say, because I don't just read something and move on to the next, I really try to understand it (not memorize it) but understand it well enough to be able to grab it even next year and still be very familiar with a topic. I'll finish patho, pharm, anatomy and Behavioral for 1st time, then onto the revision of them with qbank. Thereafter, I'll start UW, but really wanted to do RX since many say it's a good question bank.

I'm shooting for 250+, so I was really interested in having it done that way, but if it can't be done, then i'll just concentrate on UW.

If I were you, I would take a date now, albeit tentative and then change it to later according to my prep.
They say more dates become available near the time you wanna schedule your exam, because many other like us tend to postpone the exam to a later date..
Hope it helps. All the best!

dr.hobbes 08-31-2012 09:57 AM

How is it going guys? I am doing Kaplan qbank it looks good... 2200 questions ... So I think u should make schedule and finish it ... It has lot of low yield stuff and it's very picky abt the details ... It helped me remember the most tedious facts... I will start uworld in a week and I am on my 2 nd revision...
How is the prep for everyone else... Our exam is gonna be here in no time!

DrPKR 08-31-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.hobbes (Post 143860)
How is it going guys? I am doing Kaplan qbank it looks good... 2200 questions ... So I think u should make schedule and finish it ... It has lot of low yield stuff and it's very picky abt the details ... It helped me remember the most tedious facts... I will start uworld in a week and I am on my 2 nd revision...
How is the prep for everyone else... Our exam is gonna be here in no time!

Hey! So, is it okay for me to get a subscription now? :confused:(Although I've literally forgotten most of the stuff read during my first pass at KLN...)

DrPKR 08-31-2012 10:04 AM

I mean, should I not wait for my 2nd pass to be over??

dr.hobbes 08-31-2012 10:06 AM

Ya u can only subscribe either 1 m or 1 y ... I subscribed for 1y cuz there's no way I would have finished it in 1 m... But if u do like 100? A day u will finish it in a month

dr.hobbes 08-31-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPKR (Post 143867)
I mean, should I not wait for my 2nd pass to be over??

Y don't u do subject wise ..: that's Wht I did on my 2 nd rd I used to read a ch do questions in ... That way I remembered lot more than jus reading itself... Wen u do uworld u can do random

DrPKR 08-31-2012 10:13 AM

100 a day!:scared:
I think I might take the one for whole year.
I'll prob subscribe after my 2nd reading.
Thanks much!:)

DrPKR 08-31-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.hobbes (Post 143869)
Y don't u do subject wise ..: that's Wht I did on my 2 nd rd I used to read a ch do questions in ... That way I remembered lot more than jus reading itself... Wen u do uworld u can do random

Well! That's another fine idea.
Thanks for the tip!

koyi 08-31-2012 11:02 AM

done wth reading review books (don use KLN) instead am using those top rated step 1 review books . did it two times , FA two times , did NBME 5 and got 201 , currently reading FA second time , hope finish it mid next week . aim 270 score ,. second week september will start UW (100 qns per day ) , second time wth UW wrong questions only , and then all together as review together wth FA . take NBME 12 AND 13 then will see what next , go for exam or not . any correction on ma plan yar welcome ,

Highlander 09-15-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koyi (Post 143887)
done wth reading review books (don use KLN) instead am using those top rated step 1 review books . did it two times , FA two times , did NBME 5 and got 201 , currently reading FA second time , hope finish it mid next week . aim 270 score ,. second week september will start UW (100 qns per day ) , second time wth UW wrong questions only , and then all together as review together wth FA . take NBME 12 AND 13 then will see what next , go for exam or not . any correction on ma plan yar welcome ,

Hi what is the best way to do Uworld questions? Is it by timed mode and random? Also you told you will be doing about 100 questions a day so does that include reviewing the explanations and making notes as well?

Thank you for the suggestions.

:):)

koyi 09-16-2012 01:25 AM

different ways around there and people use different ways to achieve what real want from UW .., I use UW as studying tool and keep ma self stay on time tuned and also being exposed to different concepts . i use timed mode , Random .., and works well for me . abt questns yeap i do qns , read explanations (now just for wrongs qns only) and make notes whenever i meet wth new concepts that i cant retain it simply without note somewhere . in two weeks i guess will be done wth UW first time , then will go second time (read ryt and wrong qn explanations ) , and then lastly just read ma FA and anotated note . thats all

docmish 09-16-2012 01:50 AM

My form 183 shows this:i'm applying for Nov(2012)-Dec-Jan(2013) slot, i am still a student in India. I will finish internship in April 2013. I have already made an online transfer of the exam fees.


Attendance Dates: Aug 2007 to Apr 2013
No. of Years Attended: 6 Years
Degree Expected: MBBS
Expected Grad Date: Sep 2013
Expected Degree Date: Sep 2013

Now, i am worried that i have entered 6years in the years attended; and i'm also not sure if my expected grad date is Sept 2013 (generally degree is awarded in September in my college).

DO you think i'll have to override application?

If i do override, please suggest what should be answers to the above fields.
Any advice please.

Highlander 09-16-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koyi (Post 147649)
different ways around there and people use different ways to achieve what real want from UW .., I use UW as studying tool and keep ma self stay on time tuned and also being exposed to different concepts . i use timed mode , Random .., and works well for me . abt questns yeap i do qns , read explanations (now just for wrongs qns only) and make notes whenever i meet wth new concepts that i cant retain it simply without note somewhere . in two weeks i guess will be done wth UW first time , then will go second time (read ryt and wrong qn explanations ) , and then lastly just read ma FA and anotated note . thats all

So you will be finishing about 1400 questions in two weeks time or will you be doing even more?
Thank you for your post again and helping me out.

:):):):)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrPKR 09-23-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docmish (Post 147650)
My form 183 shows this:i'm applying for Nov(2012)-Dec-Jan(2013) slot, i am still a student in India. I will finish internship in April 2013. I have already made an online transfer of the exam fees.


Attendance Dates: Aug 2007 to Apr 2013
No. of Years Attended: 6 Years
Degree Expected: MBBS
Expected Grad Date: Sep 2013
Expected Degree Date: Sep 2013

Now, i am worried that i have entered 6years in the years attended; and i'm also not sure if my expected grad date is Sept 2013 (generally degree is awarded in September in my college).

DO you think i'll have to override application?

If i do override, please suggest what should be answers to the above fields.
Any advice please.

IMO, you don't need to change it! It's fine the way it is.

But also, you can always ask ECFMG people about it. Try calling them.

baishakhi 10-09-2012 09:51 AM

step 1 study plan & female sp
 
hi,
i have done kaplan & FA 2012 & UW once. planning for exam in end of nov.
need a FEMALE study partner to do FA together. to do some proper study planning together so that it will help both of us.

my plan is to review subject wise as per needed from UW & kaplan(few special areas as per needed) by our own in some specified time ( eg. anatomy in 2-3 days, or physio in 2-3 days) & daily 2-3/4 hrs. FA revision together on skype.
i think it will help us to revise things in a compact time & faster.

i am also open to accept better study plan/ schedule or we can plan it together so that we both can be benefitted.

i am in eastern time zone (Maryland) USA.

so, if there any one having the same frame of mind plz let me know as soon as possible... my email id. is [email protected]
waiting for my study partnar...

thank u.
[email protected]

DrNitinArya 10-14-2012 01:55 AM

Hello everyone, even i am taking exam in december. Till now i am done with Kaplan lecture notes and videos once and Kapaln medessential (First Aid by kaplan) once and started of with kaplan q bank and second go kaplan medessential but score is some where around 30 % system wise time mode.

i need your suggestion how should i proceed from here on. want to do u world also.and i am aiming 240- 250. any suggestions please.

tootsie 10-14-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNitinArya (Post 155006)
Hello everyone, even i am taking exam in december. Till now i am done with Kaplan lecture notes and videos once and Kapaln medessential (First Aid by kaplan) once and started of with kaplan q bank and second go kaplan medessential but score is some where around 30 % system wise time mode.

i need your suggestion how should i proceed from here on. want to do u world also.and i am aiming 240- 250. any suggestions please.

I would suggest FA more than medessentials because it has proven to be the bible for many.

I'm not a huge fan of FA, but once you try to make sense out of it (because it's a bare skeleton) you'll really know your stuff.

DrNitinArya 10-14-2012 09:04 AM

ya i agree with you FA i bible for step 1 but i can't change i have to stick with kaplan medessential. can any one tell me how one does u world do they read one system like cns and then do all questions of u world and add notes to FA or just they keep on doing q's in add notes and later read again FA. In nutshelll how should i proceed.

dr.hobbes 10-14-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNitinArya (Post 155064)
ya i agree with you FA i bible for step 1 but i can't change i have to stick with kaplan medessential. can any one tell me how one does u world do they read one system like cns and then do all questions of u world and add notes to FA or just they keep on doing q's in add notes and later read again FA. In nutshelll how should i proceed.

This is what I did and it helped me a lot... I read a system in fa did questions and took notes and then read it again in fa... So wen u read fa/ medessential after doing questions u know where to focus... I think it's better to do subject wise than random when you r trying to learn this way you get your stuff drilled into your brain... If you wanna check how u r doing overall do random questions and see how much you can recall/ interconnect

DrNitinArya 10-14-2012 11:03 PM

Thanks a ton. i think in the last phase i would not change book to FA from medessential. SO here's how i will proceed

1) Read one system from Medessential say CNS and then give all test of that system(CNS). add notes and then read it once again.

and after i am done with 3 system i will give cummulilative test of all the three system to see in which area i am lacking so that will work on that,

thanks again

karive 10-15-2012 12:13 PM

feeling sad!!!
 
Hey!!! guys.... I have been reading this forum since I started to study for step1 almost 1 year ago... and now I'm almost done with this long journey, but I have a huge problem, my elegibility period is about to end on Oct. and I'm still not sure if i'm ready for this test. I'm almost done Uworld and score is 73%. NBME not doing bad, but I said I have this huge anxiety problem that I know that when I'm stress out :o I can't think right!!! and I know for sure that on the day of the test I don't know how will I feel, knowing that my hole life depends on this... literally that's how I feel. Plz help on to how can I over come this fear and just see it as a regular test!!! Need some guideness as to what to do :toosad:

Zeeshan ali 11-10-2013 08:28 AM

goin thru exact same thing....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by karive (Post 155294)
Hey!!! guys.... I have been reading this forum since I started to study for step1 almost 1 year ago... and now I'm almost done with this long journey, but I have a huge problem, my elegibility period is about to end on Oct. and I'm still not sure if i'm ready for this test. I'm almost done Uworld and score is 73%. NBME not doing bad, but I said I have this huge anxiety problem that I know that when I'm stress out :o I can't think right!!! and I know for sure that on the day of the test I don't know how will I feel, knowing that my hole life depends on this... literally that's how I feel. Plz help on to how can I over come this fear and just see it as a regular test!!! Need some guideness as to what to do :toosad:



just read this post of urs..... m preparin for STEP 1 n ve scheduled my exam for 28th nov.... doin UW these days with avg of 72%..... n m feeling exactly the same as u ve written.... havent taken any NBME yet....

u tell, ve u taken ur exam????

sharan906 11-15-2013 01:57 AM

hi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeeshan ali (Post 226078)
just read this post of urs..... m preparin for STEP 1 n ve scheduled my exam for 28th nov.... doin UW these days with avg of 72%..... n m feeling exactly the same as u ve written.... havent taken any NBME yet....

u tell, ve u taken ur exam????

did anyone of u take nbme plz tell me hw to asses ourself in these nbme exams

sharan906 11-15-2013 10:18 PM

NBME
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.hobbes (Post 155164)
This is what I did and it helped me a lot... I read a system in fa did questions and took notes and then read it again in fa... So wen u read fa/ medessential after doing questions u know where to focus... I think it's better to do subject wise than random when you r trying to learn this way you get your stuff drilled into your brain... If you wanna check how u r doing overall do random questions and see how much you can recall/ interconnect

I donno if am really ready fr the exam or nt ...many advised me to take NBME but can we do those offline....exam in dec 2nd week plz reply....

run-boy-run 11-19-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharan906 (Post 227056)
I donno if am really ready fr the exam or nt ...many advised me to take NBME but can we do those offline....exam in dec 2nd week plz reply....

nbme is a must to know ur status quo...
never try not doin it...

sharan906 11-20-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by run-boy-run (Post 227512)
nbme is a must to know ur status quo...
never try not doin it...

did kaplan diagnostic and 1 and 2 nbme's score was abt 57 percent or so ....upset....thinking of extending the eligibility period am i dng the r8 thing or does everyone get low in 1 and 2 nbme r they really tough or is it my lack of prep plzzz help ....hw shud i change my study plan...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)