just took step 1 - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 153
Threads: 28
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ashok1
Default just took step 1

hi friends ,am done with step 1 . My question is I got only 28 questions instead of 40 in my last block .My question is why they reduce the q no in my last block, any idea ?By the way , last block was the hardest one in whole exam.can anyone tell me if anyone have the same experience ?
my 2nd question, when I will get my result ? thanks

Last edited by ashok1; 11-30-2016 at 03:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
creativetrue (12-18-2016)



  #2  
Old 11-30-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 41
Threads: 24
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

hey ashok. sorry i cant answer ur questions as i have no info. i am at end of my prep. could u plz give some info regarding difficulty level of questions? is uw and fa enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 11-30-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 153
Threads: 28
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ashok1
Default same

Don't get panic. I feel exam is doable ,they test your basics , first 4 block were not that tough to me , it was close to the practice material in usmle sites but everyone gets different q sets ...but 5 th block was mixed , 6 nd 7 were tough ..I did bad in last two blocks . q s were almost btw 2 possible ans nd these two blocks is reason to worry about for me .Also I did plenty of careless mistakes .But overall, I felt good after the exam as I'm finally done . uw and fa is more than enough . read fa several times .That's all.

Last edited by ashok1; 12-01-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
anamta (11-30-2016), carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), ujjwol (12-18-2016)
 
  #4  
Old 11-30-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 41
Threads: 24
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
Don't get panic. I feel exam is doable ,they test your basics , first 4 block were easy to me , it was close to the practice material in usmle sites but everyone gets different q sets ...but 5 th block was mixed , 6 nd 7 were tough ..I did bad in last two blocks . q s were almost btw 2 possible ans nd these two blocks is reason to worry about for me .But overall, I felt good after the exam . uw and fa is more than enough . read fa several times .That's all.
thank u ashok. and how many nbme's u have done? all online or offline?

and best of luck for ur result.. may u get ur desired score and do share ur result with us here when it comes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carbdoc17 (01-04-2017)
  #5  
Old 11-30-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Congratulation!!!! I bet you did great.
A lot of people did say that they got between 20-40 questions on the last block so you are good.

You should get it 3 weeks from today.

Congratulations again!!! a well deserved break. Enjoy your self

BTW....how long did you study for if I may ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ashok1 (11-30-2016), drsue (11-30-2016)
  #6  
Old 11-30-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 24
Threads: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 22
Nigeria post exam experience

did my exam 2 weeks ago.. my last block had 32 questions. 1st 3 blocks were straight forward, more like Uworld, it was so smooth i didn't take any break until after the 3rd block, 4th block was not as easy as the 1st three blocks. 5th and 6th were . questions that just don't seem to contain the options that you would expect to see, which makes it really frustrating. had a lot of ethics, and pathology. i remember reading some questions and thinking: surely, these were lifted from Uworld, word for word. lol. i think from the fore going we can say that the exam setters intentionally put more difficult questions in the latter blocks of the test..which i think is cruel, cos at that point , you are already exhausted. 1 more week to go till the result is released. the wait is the worst part for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ashok1 (11-30-2016), carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), creativetrue (12-18-2016)
  #7  
Old 11-30-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 153
Threads: 28
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ashok1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkene View Post
did my exam 2 weeks ago.. my last block had 32 questions. 1st 3 blocks were straight forward, more like Uworld, it was so smooth i didn't take any break until after the 3rd block, 4th block was not as easy as the 1st three blocks. 5th and 6th were . questions that just don't seem to contain the options that you would expect to see, which makes it really frustrating. had a lot of ethics, and pathology. i remember reading some questions and thinking: surely, these were lifted from Uworld, word for word. lol. i think from the fore going we can say that the exam setters intentionally put more difficult questions in the latter blocks of the test..which i think is cruel, cos at that point , you are already exhausted. 1 more week to go till the result is released. the wait is the worst part for me.
True , I remember my brain was not working in last few questions , they were not like uw in my case , no idea where from they were taken, two blocks mean huge loss ..so really in panick mode now.Please post your score once you get it

Last edited by ashok1; 11-30-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
creativetrue (12-18-2016)
  #8  
Old 11-30-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 24
Threads: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
True , I remember my brain was not working in last few questions , they were not like uw in my case , no idea where from they were taken, two blocks mean huge loss ..so really in panick mode now
so, when are you expecting your score to be posted? the wait is killing me. initially i could remember most of the questions that i had to make some educated guesses, but now i cant remember much of what happened that day. it all seems like a blur to me. i have endured 2 weeks of a roller coaster of emotions. some days i feel i passed, some days am not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
creativetrue (12-18-2016)
  #9  
Old 12-01-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 153
Threads: 28
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ashok1
Default

same here , I took exam just two days back..so now waiting 3 or 4 weeks ? no idea ..I'm feeling the same like you ..the questions are not giving me the confidence enough about my passing when I think of those last two blocks . let's see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-01-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default difficulty of exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
Don't get panic. I feel exam is doable ,they test your basics , first 4 block were easy to me , it was close to the practice material in usmle sites but everyone gets different q sets ...but 5 th block was mixed , 6 nd 7 were tough ..I did bad in last two blocks . q s were almost btw 2 possible ans nd these two blocks is reason to worry about for me .But overall, I felt good after the exam as I'm finally done . uw and fa is more than enough . read fa several times .That's all.
So you're saying that the exam is doable just with FA & Uworld? I am like 2 weeks away so any advice you can give me would be great!!! Good luck with your score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 12-01-2016
USMLE Forums Addict
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 153
Threads: 28
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Reputation: 37
Send a message via Skype™ to ashok1
Default

yes. I read anatomy and selected genetics topics before the exam from Kaplan .I read kaplan lecture notes before .In my exam ,anatomy is not heavily tested though many gets qs from pelvis etc . And yes practice heart sounds , histo slides etc .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carbdoc17 (01-04-2017)
  #12  
Old 12-01-2016
step2success's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 29
Threads: 11
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reputation: 12
Send a message via Skype™ to step2success
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
hi friends ,am done with step 1 . My question is I got only 28 questions instead of 40 in my last block .My question is why they reduce the q no in my last block, any idea ?By the way , last block was the hardest one in whole exam.can anyone tell me if anyone have the same experience ?
my 2nd question, when I will get my result ? thanks
it should be 40 per block and total 280 for 7 blocks right... how come u got like that ? anyway u finished the exam and dont worry now... just relax... gud luck for next step...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 12-03-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
yes. I read anatomy and selected genetics topics before the exam from Kaplan .I read kaplan lecture notes before .In my exam ,anatomy is not heavily tested though many gets qs from pelvis etc . And yes practice heart sounds , histo slides etc .
You said that you got lots of pelvis questions so I wanted to know what specifically u got if u can recollect. Like if it was about anatomy or innervation or blood supply.
A lot of people that have taken the exam keep mentioning that the heart murmur questions are vague & that they don't really giv u clues on what type of murmur it is. All they say is a couple of sentences & then u have to hear the murmur & just know what it is. Is that the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carbdoc17 (01-04-2017)
  #14  
Old 12-03-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 80
Threads: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

Congrats on being done, how were your NBME scores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 12-07-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 24
Threads: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 22
Nigeria result is out and i passed. lol

i don't want to say much, but just to encourage those of you who left the test centre feeling like ****, not knowing if you passed or not. i felt the same, as u could see from my previous post here after the exam. i felt i had 2 to 3 impossible blocks. lol. my result came out today- 230, pass:rolle yes:.what a relief!!!!. am still in shock really, i wonder how this exam is graded. i mean i did online NBMEs where i got easy questions and scored about 82% correct, and still scored lower than me actual( very difficult) test scores. i guess we will never know...... am rooting for u guys. just chill, you will all make it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
ashok1 (12-07-2016), carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), creativetrue (12-18-2016)



  #16  
Old 12-07-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 26
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkene View Post
i don't want to say much, but just to encourage those of you who left the test centre feeling like ****, not knowing if you passed or not. i felt the same, as u could see from my previous post here after the exam. i felt i had 2 to 3 impossible blocks. lol. my result came out today- 230, pass:rolle yes:.what a relief!!!!. am still in shock really, i wonder how this exam is graded. i mean i did online NBMEs where i got easy questions and scored about 82% correct, and still scored lower than me actual( very difficult) test scores. i guess we will never know...... am rooting for u guys. just chill, you will all make it too.
Congrats !!! What were your nbme scores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 12-07-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 28
Threads: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
hi friends ,am done with step 1 . My question is I got only 28 questions instead of 40 in my last block .My question is why they reduce the q no in my last block, any idea ?By the way , last block was the hardest one in whole exam.can anyone tell me if anyone have the same experience ?
my 2nd question, when I will get my result ? thanks
can you check pm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 12-07-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 13
Threads: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkene View Post
i don't want to say much, but just to encourage those of you who left the test centre feeling like ****, not knowing if you passed or not. i felt the same, as u could see from my previous post here after the exam. i felt i had 2 to 3 impossible blocks. lol. my result came out today- 230, pass.what a relief!!!!. am still in shock really, i wonder how this exam is graded. i mean i did online NBMEs where i got easy questions and scored about 82% correct, and still scored lower than me actual( very difficult) test scores. i guess we will never know...... am rooting for u guys. just chill, you will all make it too.
Congratulations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
drkene (01-21-2017)
  #19  
Old 12-14-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok1 View Post
Don't get panic. I feel exam is doable ,they test your basics , first 4 block were not that tough to me , it was close to the practice material in usmle sites but everyone gets different q sets ...but 5 th block was mixed , 6 nd 7 were tough ..I did bad in last two blocks . q s were almost btw 2 possible ans nd these two blocks is reason to worry about for me .Also I did plenty of careless mistakes .But overall, I felt good after the exam as I'm finally done . uw and fa is more than enough . read fa several times .That's all.
It was the same for me too. I got 28 questions on my last block. I felt block 6 and 7 were the hardest to me. Not sure why it's like that. We may have even gotten the same question set. But I also made a lot of silly mistakes that are still haunting me. Is it the same for u.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
creativetrue (12-18-2016)
  #20  
Old 12-14-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempus86 View Post
You said that you got lots of pelvis questions so I wanted to know what specifically u got if u can recollect. Like if it was about anatomy or innervation or blood supply.
A lot of people that have taken the exam keep mentioning that the heart murmur questions are vague & that they don't really giv u clues on what type of murmur it is. All they say is a couple of sentences & then u have to hear the murmur & just know what it is. Is that the case?
Not too many anatomy questions to be honest. Gross Anatomy is really low yield on this exam. Master neuroanatomy instead. As for murmurs, the trick is essentially looking at the patient's age if no other clues are given. E.g aortic stenosis and older patients. Step 1 doesn't really expect u to be accurate on murmurs but to understand risk factors that cause specific types of murmur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21  
Old 12-14-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22  
Old 12-14-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadamann View Post
Not too many anatomy questions to be honest. Gross Anatomy is really low yield on this exam. Master neuroanatomy instead. As for murmurs, the trick is essentially looking at the patient's age if no other clues are given. E.g aortic stenosis and older patients. Step 1 doesn't really expect u to be accurate on murmurs but to understand risk factors that cause specific types of murmur.
Thanks a lot. That's really helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23  
Old 12-16-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 37
Threads: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Reputation: 28
Default

I took it in August, and the last block was not 40 question (I can't remember the exact number).
Don't worry. It won't hurt your score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24  
Old 12-18-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Weird experience - Step 1

My last block - 28 questions, 13 days ago
Very hard. Few familiar questions.
More like kaplan qbank (once 60% right) than UW (2.5 times with 65% right)
Totally unsure if I pass or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carbdoc17 (01-04-2017)
  #25  
Old 12-18-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 26
Threads: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativetrue View Post
My last block - 28 questions, 13 days ago
Very hard. Few familiar questions.
More like kaplan qbank (once 60% right) than UW (2.5 times with 65% right)
Totally unsure if I pass or not...
I took it on the same day like you and my last block was also 28 questions and quite hard. Probably we got the same form. Lets hope for the best!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), creativetrue (12-18-2016)



  #26  
Old 12-18-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 3
Threads: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Waiting is the hardest my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27  
Old 12-18-2016
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 24
Threads: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

I know how you all feel. Waiting was the hardest part for me too. My exam was really tough too. Trust in your NBME scores.. Out would be surprised how close ur real score will be to it, irrespective of ho difficult and strange the blocks were. Mine was actually 5 points Higher. Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
carbdoc17 (01-04-2017), creativetrue (12-19-2016)
  #28  
Old 12-22-2016
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

my friend took it today, 8 blocks with 40 questions each. Think it was harder than U World, due to levels of details in biochem and pharm. pray for her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29  
Old 01-04-2017
carbdoc17's Avatar
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: ---
Posts: 24
Threads: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Reputation: 20
Correct Answer Thanks for sharing

Any news about your test? did you pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Find Us on Facebook
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)