Did nbme curves change in the last years? - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-24-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default Did nbme curves change in the last years?

I'm an IMG and I just took NBME 17 yesterday.
I made 41 mistakes and I got 209, which is pretty disappointing. However, looking on the internet I found some posts (mainly from 2 years ago) from people who got around 230 making 10 mistakes less than me. These posts are mainly from 2015 and you can find it on this thread (can't post the link, look for nbme 17 discussion on studentdoctor forum)

"i got a 234 with 30 questions wrong" (apr 2015)
"I got 228 with 36 wrong" (apr 2015)
"I got 43 wrong, 450 or 217 score." (may 2015)

Any idea why they changed the curve?
Did USMLE just got harder as well or is there a bias because some questions are already being heavily tested on Uworld and so everybody started to get them right in the last 2 years?

Even though I've made some stupid mistakes on basic stuff, it's pretty depressing to know that scoring 80% will result in such a poor score
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
njtrimed (03-24-2018), riley2021 (04-11-2018)



  #2  
Old 03-24-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 80
Threads: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

The curve has definitely changed, I myself scored 84.5% on NBME 17 and that was ONLY a 223. The new NBME 19 also has a harsh curve, however, it is better for NBMEs to be more harsh and under predict than giving us false hope that we are going to all score >240. It makes sense, just keep studying and don't be too disappointed with your practice scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-25-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluexberry View Post
The curve has definitely changed, I myself scored 84.5% on NBME 17 and that was ONLY a 223. The new NBME 19 also has a harsh curve, however, it is better for NBMEs to be more harsh and under predict than giving us false hope that we are going to all score >240. It makes sense, just keep studying and don't be too disappointed with your practice scores.
yes I noticed that also for other NBMEs. for example 1 month ago I took nbme 13 and I scored 200 with 47 mistakes while a lot of people who took the simulation 2-3 years ago made around 50 mistakes and they were on the 210 range.

I wonder why they changed and I'm afraid that the predictiveness is always the same, but the USMLE level just got harder than few years ago, so scoring 80% it's not enough anymore to have a decent score in the 220 range.

Anyway have you tried the real exam yet? if yes, did NBME 17 underpredict your score
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 03-25-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 80
Threads: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Reputation: 25
Default

I'm taking my exam on Monday. I'm so scared!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-26-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluexberry View Post
I'm taking my exam on Monday. I'm so scared!
good luck man, from your score on NBME 17 I would say that you are more than ready. Let us know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-26-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 86
Threads: 1
Thanked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedilol View Post
I'm an IMG and I just took NBME 17 yesterday.
I made 41 mistakes and I got 209, which is pretty disappointing. However, looking on the internet I found some posts (mainly from 2 years ago) from people who got around 230 making 10 mistakes less than me. These posts are mainly from 2015 and you can find it on this thread (can't post the link, look for nbme 17 discussion on studentdoctor forum)

"i got a 234 with 30 questions wrong" (apr 2015)
"I got 228 with 36 wrong" (apr 2015)
"I got 43 wrong, 450 or 217 score." (may 2015)

Any idea why they changed the curve?
Did USMLE just got harder as well or is there a bias because some questions are already being heavily tested on Uworld and so everybody started to get them right in the last 2 years?

Even though I've made some stupid mistakes on basic stuff, it's pretty depressing to know that scoring 80% will result in such a poor score
I gave up on predicting my score with NBME percent correct a long time ago. There is no way for us to know how the test is scored. I had the same issues as you when I was preparing. It would drive me nuts to see that I had much less incorrects and a worse score than people a few years ago. Just do your thing, compare yourself to yourself and focus on your goal. I decided to stop worrying about the mysteries of USMLE scoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-27-2017
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 6
Threads: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Reputation: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodo View Post
I gave up on predicting my score with NBME percent correct a long time ago. There is no way for us to know how the test is scored. I had the same issues as you when I was preparing. It would drive me nuts to see that I had much less incorrects and a worse score than people a few years ago. Just do your thing, compare yourself to yourself and focus on your goal. I decided to stop worrying about the mysteries of USMLE scoring.
did your NBME results turn out to be predictive eventually?
My goal is 225+ and I'm a little bit more than 2 weeks out.

I took NBME 16 10 days ago and I got 211 making a lot of stupid mistakes, like getting wrong stupid stuff like calculating incidence or things ike that (I was very distracted during the simulation). Then I got 209 on NBME 17 without making any stupid mistake. I really hope that the new NBME 17 curve is not predictive of your score otherwise I'm in big trouble. I'll take nbme 18 soon and see how it will go (I've seen that the curve is much more nicer, even though it seems very challenging)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-27-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 86
Threads: 1
Thanked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Reputation: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedilol View Post
did your NBME results turn out to be predictive eventually?
My goal is 225+ and I'm a little bit more than 2 weeks out.

I took NBME 16 10 days ago and I got 211 making a lot of stupid mistakes, like getting wrong stupid stuff like calculating incidence or things ike that (I was very distracted during the simulation). Then I got 209 on NBME 17 without making any stupid mistake. I really hope that the new NBME 17 curve is not predictive of your score otherwise I'm in big trouble. I'll take nbme 18 soon and see how it will go (I've seen that the curve is much more nicer, even though it seems very challenging)
I do not know yet. I am expecting my score report this Wednesday. I had 12 mistakes on NBME 18 and got 263, 9 mistakes on 17 and got a 261, 6 mistakes on 19 with a 265. I do not know how much that helps. 19 felt the most difficult to me but ended up with the least number of mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-27-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 29
Threads: 4
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Reputation: 22
Default

I took NBME 15 a week or so back and got 213. Seems it might have changed.

According to one correlation table, Kaplan Qbank score ~ 57% = 225 and Uworld score 59% = 222. Not a a large difference, but still significant. (though I'm not sure if its because I've done <4th of the qbanks.)

Btw I just put in these numbers in that score estimator tool clinical review.com website and it was very close to my nbme score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Question Change High NBME, UWSA and Low Final score Emeka4rl USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 1 08-21-2016 01:22 PM
2016 Question Change High NBME, UWSA and Low Final score Emeka4rl USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 0 08-03-2016 07:41 AM
Cardiac function curves: Help hope2015 USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 05-12-2014 11:24 AM
Crossing the three years postgrad years titan25 IMG Residency Match Forum 6 10-29-2013 05:55 AM
NBME form 1 question: Generalized bone pain for 9 years Dr.NickRiviera USMLE Step 1 Forum 2 02-14-2012 10:39 AM

Find Us on Facebook
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)