How I got a 262 on my Step 1 (on my second try) - USMLE Forums
USMLE Forums Logo
USMLE Forums         Your Reliable USMLE Online Community     Members     Posts
Home
USMLE Articles
USMLE News
USMLE Polls
USMLE Books
USMLE Apps
Go Back   USMLE Forums > USMLE Step 1 Forum

USMLE Step 1 Forum USMLE Step 1 Discussion Forum: Let's talk about anything related to USMLE Step 1 exam


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 27
Threads: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default How I got a 262 on my Step 1 (on my second try)

I took the exam back in 2016 and unfortunately failed.

I had taken the exam after taking a prep course and failed by 3 points. I'm glad I did. It really made me rethink my life and how to study.

I realized I needed a book with everything I need and a bunch of questions.

My study plan:

I read this book called "The Only Book You Need for USMLE Step 1" front to back. I supplemented "First Aid" (which I had used for the first time around I took the exam). The thing I liked about it was a bunch of high yield material written in a random order. And it's written by writers who wrote questions for UWorld. I know it's been taking down from Amazon a couple of times but if it's there, I would definitely purchase. It's a little pricey but totally worth it. And First Aid I'd recommend because it has everything but in a succint manner but not in a question form like the other book.

After finishing "The Only Book You Need for USMLE Step 1" and "First Aid," I did UWorld. After UWorld, I did Pretest. Pretest was much harder. You can find free pdfs on Pretest online. It was so hard that concepts stuck. I'd go back now and then to both the books if I found a topic difficult.

After doing questions right up to the exam, I was ready for it because I was already conditioned to sitting long hours and doing multiple questions.

If there are any questions, shoot me a message. Goodluck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
docinfidel (12-19-2017), dr.s (12-24-2017)



  #2  
Old 12-03-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 21
Threads: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Reputation: 16
Default

Nice cleverly disguised marketing attempt, nobody is going to buy your shitty book when the king First Aid is there.

Proof? That book was just released on amazon a week and a half ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr_kg (02-19-2018), Panmedic (12-05-2017)
  #3  
Old 12-06-2017
USMLE Forums Veteran
 
Steps History: Step 1 Only
Posts: 224
Threads: 22
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Reputation: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. vlad View Post
I took the exam back in 2016 and unfortunately failed.

I had taken the exam after taking a prep course and failed by 3 points. I'm glad I did. It really made me rethink my life and how to study.

I realized I needed a book with everything I need and a bunch of questions.

My study plan:

I read this book called "The Only Book You Need for USMLE Step 1" front to back. I supplemented "First Aid" (which I had used for the first time around I took the exam). The thing I liked about it was a bunch of high yield material written in a random order. And it's written by writers who wrote questions for UWorld. I know it's been taking down from Amazon a couple of times but if it's there, I would definitely purchase. It's a little pricey but totally worth it. And First Aid I'd recommend because it has everything but in a succint manner but not in a question form like the other book.

After finishing "The Only Book You Need for USMLE Step 1" and "First Aid," I did UWorld. After UWorld, I did Pretest. Pretest was much harder. You can find free pdfs on Pretest online. It was so hard that concepts stuck. I'd go back now and then to both the books if I found a topic difficult.

After doing questions right up to the exam, I was ready for it because I was already conditioned to sitting long hours and doing multiple questions.

If there are any questions, shoot me a message. Goodluck!
Congrats on your score, FA is the best resources for preparing for Steps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr. vlad (01-10-2018)
 
  #4  
Old 12-07-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 12
Threads: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 13
Default

Congrats! Seems like you found a method that worked for you. Doing a lot of questions and using a reference like First Aid is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The above post was thanked by:
dr. vlad (01-10-2018)
  #5  
Old 12-16-2017
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 27
Threads: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.2016 View Post
Nice cleverly disguised marketing attempt, nobody is going to buy your shitty book when the king First Aid is there.

Proof? That book was just released on amazon a week and a half ago.
Lol I wish I wrote it.
You don't have to be a troll about it.
I clearly said the book keeps getting removed from the amazon store in my post so I wish you would actually read what I wrote before instantly trying to make light of it.
And yes First Aid is a great book and I did give it credit. However, I did not pass using it alone is what I was trying to say.


For everyone else, THANKS!
I'm in my intern year of residency now preparing for Step 3. If you have any questions about the process, feel free to message me. G'luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-10-2018
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 9
Threads: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reputation: 10
Default

Can u tell me what prep course u took, so i dont make the mistake of taking it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-10-2018
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 27
Threads: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Wong View Post
Can u tell me what prep course u took, so i dont make the mistake of taking it
I don't want to disclose the exact name of the prep course but if you search "atlanta step 2 ck courses" in google, it's the first that pops up. It required me to stay in Atlanta for 6 weeks for around $1800. The course was good but it wasn't a course designed for me as I don't learn well in a classroom setting. I did have some friends who took the course and got decent results.

Like I said in my original post, those 2 books and doing multiple question sets helped me the most. Doing multiple question sets a day conditioned me to take the exam in a less stressful manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-18-2018
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 27
Threads: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default Question

I've been getting questions about how I managed to take Step 2 ck again without getting depressed.
It definitely sucks but you have to get up quickly.
I'm glad I was only away by a few points the first time because if I got the minimum score, I wouldn't have got anywhere.
The low score, made me realize what I need to do and I just went for it.
You have to believe you can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-18-2018
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 27
Threads: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. vlad View Post
I've been getting questions about how I managed to take Step 2 ck again without getting depressed.
It definitely sucks but you have to get up quickly.
I'm glad I was only away by a few points the first time because if I got the minimum score, I wouldn't have got anywhere.
The low score, made me realize what I need to do and I just went for it.
You have to believe you can do it.
Woops I meant Step 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-22-2018
USMLE Forums Newbie
 
Steps History: Not yet
Posts: 8
Threads: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reputation: 11
Default

How many hours per day did you study for step 1? And how did you manage it with your work in the hospital (if you were working at that time)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 05-29-2018
USMLE Forums Scout
 
Steps History: 1+CK+CS
Posts: 27
Threads: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Reputation: 14
Default

I was able to study for a solid 3 hours a day usually at night from 7pm to 10:30pm (this was after dinner). I did 30 min of studying, 5 min breaks in between. On the weekends, I did around 7-8 hours of the same each day. Some days I had off so I'd do the 7-8 hours too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message



Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the USMLE Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Medical School
Choose "---" if you don't want to tell. AMG for US & Canadian medical schools. IMG for all other medical schools.
USMLE Steps History
What steps finished! Example: 1+CK+CS+3 = Passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.

Choose "---" if you don't want to tell.

Favorite USMLE Books
What USMLE books you really think are useful. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.
Location
Where you live. Leave blank if you don't want to tell.

Log-in


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
262 in step 1-Beating down the Beast-My Story Desmin USMLE Step 1 Forum 26 06-03-2018 07:29 AM
Step 1 253 Step 2 CK 262 Step 2 CS fail medbr USMLE Step 2 CS Forum 3 03-31-2016 11:22 AM
Npktun Step 2 CK experience: 262 npktun USMLE Step 2 CK Forum 7 11-19-2015 11:25 PM
Taming the Beast - DNA105's Step 1 Experience (262) DNA 105 USMLE Step 1 Forum 73 01-21-2014 06:29 PM
Trickster Step 1 Score 262/89! Trickster USMLE Step 1 Forum 20 02-21-2012 10:14 AM

Find Us on Facebook
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)