USMLE Forums

USMLE Forums (https://www.usmle-forums.com/)
-   USMLE Step 1 Recommended Threads (https://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-recommended-threads/)
-   -   First Aid General Principles and Organ Systems (https://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-recommended-threads/9528-first-aid-general-principles-organ-systems.html)

hope007 05-24-2011 05:54 AM

First Aid General Principles and Organ Systems
 
Guys I have the regular First aid book (that every one has!) but I came across another version of first aid book where it is divided into 2 portions :

The 1ST is First Aid for the Basic Sciences - General Principles
The 2ND is First Aid for the Basic Sciences - Organ Systems

Each of them alone is actually bigger than the summarized version we all have but is written by the same authors and intended for step 1 too, except that it does have extra info!

Have any of you encountered using that book ? Is it useful or should I stick to the summarized combined one!?

ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED :)

lee-usmle 05-24-2011 08:33 AM

The original FA is the most popular and most concise
 
It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a concise super summarized quick comprehensive review book then go for the regular FA book.

If on the other hand, you have the time, and is looking to expand your knowledge further and get more detailed background then go for the FA for basic sciences books.

However, let me remind you that the popularity of the First Aid series came from the original book First Aid for the USMLE Step 1, that's because that book is high yield that many students swear that it contains more than 90% of all the content seen in the real USMLE Step 1 Exam. Also, if you already finished with your basic sciences courses in med school then you might only need a refresher, an outliner, a high yield pointer which is the case of the regular First Aid not the General Principles and Organ Systems Books.

docord 05-24-2011 09:22 AM

has anybody used this books instead of Kaplan notes? Can they replace the Kaplan lecture notes?

lee-usmle 05-24-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docord (Post 41736)
has anybody used this books instead of Kaplan notes? Can they replace the Kaplan lecture notes?

They got less votes than KLN here
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-st...iew-books.html

docord 05-24-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee-usmle (Post 41748)

Yes, however these votes are a good way to get an idea, the problem is you don't know the voters. even,even if someone has aced the exam, he/she has not tried all the books, so just votes for what he/she has used and what he/she has used, most likely has been one the classic proven ways, since nobody wants to be creative in this one-time exam (including myself). That's a market in which when you take a place, its very very hard for the new ones to replace you even if they are better or at least the same or near.
Consider Kaplan, if they produce a book series with for example 80% volume of the notes (deleting some heavy details) and sell them legally with a reasonable price (eg 40$ each book) who will use the notes ever after?
I think even after all these resources for step 1, the place of the"best series, not too detailed and not lacking at the same time) is still empty. That's what Goljan is trying to do, but he can not make it alone.

lee-usmle 05-24-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docord (Post 41768)
yes, however these votes are a good way to get an idea, the problem is you don't know the voters. even,even if someone has aced the exam,he/she has not tried all the books, so just votes for what he/she has used and what he/she has used, most likely has been one the classic proven ways, since nobody wants to be creative in this one-time exam (including myself). That's a market in which when you take a place, its very very hard for the new ones to replace you even if they are better or at least the same or near.

The most commonly used book (as verified by the poll) is certainly the best book, otherwise it wouldn't have got the popularity in the first place.
I disagree with you about the difficulty of getting popular in the USMLE market place. Take for example, the MTB-CK Book, it was just released recently and now it's one of the most popular CK review books.

lee-usmle 05-24-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docord (Post 41768)
consider kaplan, if they produce a book series with for example 80% volume of the notes (deleting some heavy details) and sell them legally with a competitive price (eg 40$ each book) who will use the notes ever after?

Probably they didn't do that because they know they can't replace the FA book. By the way they have tried with the MedEssentials Book.

apx85 05-24-2011 12:15 PM

I made a mistake in buying these books. I thought that they would be helpful since they are more complete but in reality I have barely even used them. Since they are the first edition, there are lots of errors plus it is not as thorough as Kaplan Lecture notes are.

Regular FA with Kaplan lecture notes/videos is probably the best, most thorough review for Step 1. FA tells you what you need to know and Kaplan helps with concepts

docord 05-24-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee-usmle (Post 41771)
The most commonly used book (as verified by the poll) is certainly the best book, otherwise it wouldn't have got the popularity in the first place.
I disagree with you about the difficulty of getting popular in the USMLE market place. Take for example, the MTB-CK Book, it was just released recently and now it's one of the most popular CK review books.

I agree with this part. Maybe I was wrong. but for the 2nd part, I meant something between KME or FA and LNs. Something closer to LNs in volume.

docord 05-24-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apx85 (Post 41774)
I made a mistake in buying these books. I thought that they would be helpful since they are more complete but in reality I have barely even used them. Since they are the first edition, there are lots of errors plus it is not as thorough as Kaplan Lecture notes are.

Regular FA with Kaplan lecture notes/videos is probably the best, most thorough review for Step 1. FA tells you what you need to know and Kaplan helps with concepts

Thanks for the experience. It seems neither an expanded FA will be LNs, nor a condensed LNs (which makes KME) will be FA. However, I believe for kaplan readers, KME could be beneficial if used correctly.

mary 05-24-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docord (Post 41777)
I meant something between KME or FA and LNs. Something closer to LNs in volume.

They have done that with the latest 2011 KLN, they made them much smaller than before :D

docord 05-25-2011 05:39 AM

are you sure?

i havent seen them myself,but in a forum somebody had mentioned they are smaller simplely bc the used paper is thiner.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)