MastermindDoctor CS experience Houston May 2013
Dear friends, I want to give ultimate thanks to people running this forum, it has been a great help since starting this pathway.
I’ve been waiting for my score to appear, to post my experience and thanks GOD, I received the report last WED and I passed
Total study time: 7 weeks
Studying CS is a stepwise study, you master a skill then move to next one
These are the steps
1. Practice the intro & Know how to ask relevant case questions in a simple short clear form?
2. Now practice the closure (2nd most important part) regarding DD , INV &advices.
3. Introduce element of time, try to finish the whole interview without PE in 7 min
4. Watch Videos either (CSE) or Uworld videos If you have a live partner, start practicing PE,
if on skype simulate it by telling “ Now I’ll do so & so , can u please do so & so “
5. Finally practice patient note (extremely important, part in passing this test) in Timed manner
I typed them in the order : INV, DD , focal PE , HX then general PE, and add negative findings & ROS
Once you master all of these, you are ready to go to exam
These are some advices
1. Choose a good partner: lazy or easygoing partners can kill everything , an active skype partner is better 1000 times than lazy live partner ( I had very active & brilliant 2 study partners through skype, I wouldn’t have passed without them)
2. Keep your spirits high, be confident but well prepared the exam is easy but wrapped in SEVERE stress
3. Choose date & place early to find a near or convenient state ,early hotel reservation for good prices
Check the report schedule timing on NBME site to ensure you’ll have the result by desired time.
4. Practice as many cases as you can , I did FA 3 times , then we integrated the mini –cases into large case. Those who practiced 150 cases are not as those who did only 50
5. Practice cases till the exam week , you don’t want to lose your good timing level & fluency you reached
6. Practice typing PN till exam week , watch the timing as the 10 min start immediately after the announcement of “This case time is over”
IMPORTANT POINT: you must practice typing from the scratch paper you wrote during practicing the case, to assess whether you will be able to get the abbreviations you wrote in hurry or not.
7. In exam day , go to center early , don’t worry 1st case is the heaviest, then things start to get better
8. If you forget any q or any part of PE in previous case , don’t worry everybody forgets but don’t let this affect your performance in the next case
9. Your field of work is your scratch paper, after practicing a number of cases, you should reach a format that will help you to remember to ask relevant questions , do the proper counseling and extract information for PN
10. Last thing , you ‘ll meet a lot of people telling you how difficult the exam was or will be and how is it impossible to pass , others will tell you how easy you can pass without practicing. PLEASE stop listening to these people , this exam needs a good preparation and good concentration during exam, if you had both these you’ll pass.
I would be happy to answer any of your questions :)
Thanks for sharing your views.
1.My question is, was FA enough for the cases you encountered?
2.Also, did you ask all the patients about regular health maintenance (i.e checkups/screening tests), and did you advise them on these matters?
3.Whats absolutely necessary to counsel on?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
2. In some cases I had enough time to counsel on health maintenance like colonoscopy , Mamogram , PAP smear but in the other cases I only counseled on stuff related to the case
3. Things important to counsel are tailored according to case for ex
excessive Alcohol ---> CAGE
dangerous Sexual behavior ---> ask about STDs & HIV testing & PAP in females
Diet & exercise in Diabetic & cardiac patients
Elder abuse (transfer to elders house)
Spouse abuse (presence of emergency plan & children abuse)
Dementia & balance problems (ask about assistance & tell them to stop driving)
Depressed : suicidal thinking
Women above 50 or FH of breast cancer : Mamogram
men or Women above 50 or FH of colon cancer : colonoscopy
@ masterminddoctor, well put together,u echoed what i had in mind. God bless as u prepare for the match.
Thanks a lot mastermind! I like your review, it's packed with practical steps and realistic and also encouraging. Best of luck for your match!
Congratulations on passing. I have a question. Do you have to remember all the DD for the minicases?
Fantastic tips!! I just thought of asking if you have sat for the step 3 test as well and have some tips or if you donít mind sharing your experience with us here as I will take it soon
exam in houston
hi, congrats MastermindDoctor on passing CS. My exam is in Houston. can u suggest me a good place to stay near the exam centre. Also are there any places where we can practise live for CS?
|All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:46 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
USMLE® & other trade marks belong to their respective owners, read full disclaimer
USMLE Forums created under Creative Commons 3.0 License. (2009-2019)